News macOS Monterey Up Blamed for Bricking Older Macs

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
OS updates have caused many bricked devices. I owned a couple ipods back in 2008. Each time I'd update the OS the device would stop working. Then they try to say it's because I dropped it. Planned obsolescence, that's how Apple works. Other companies do it too so it's not just Apple.

Why would you design an OS to brick a piece of hardware upon upgrading said hardware? Like, seriously...

For all the fun we make about Windows and its bugs, I've never ever read about it bricking hardware of a PC. Linux can be dangerous if installed incorrectly*, but kind of the same as well as I've never read about a failed Linux install has bricked a PC.

Is this Apple's way to subtly tell its minions to upgrade their stuff? lol

Regards.

Last edited:
Why would you design an OS to brick a piece of hardware upon upgrading said hardware? Like, seriously...

For all the fun we make about Windows and its bugs, I've never ever read about it bricking hardware of a PC. Linux can be dangerous if installed correctly, but kind of the same as well as I've never read about a failed Linux install has bricked a PC.

Is this Apple's way to subtly tell its minions to upgrade their stuff? lol

Regards.

You haven't heard of them because they don't make for interesting news

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not terribly surprising there would be an issue with the T2 chip in this process. The upgrade from Big Sur to Monterey allowed for a new quick wipe erase option in System Preferences. This allowed for a ready for resale, donation, etc with out wiping and reloading the whole OS on T2 chip machines. I saw this new option with a 2020 13” MBP. It did upgrade to Monterey just fine though.

I wonder if people got impatient and force rebooted during the upgrade or something like that. Or it just ran into some issue with that migration process.

Reactions: artk2219

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Linux? Maybe. Windows? No way. If there was an update that bricked PCs, it would be news everywhere, for sure. There's always articles and news for BSOD's after updates, so imagine if they actually bricked something, lol.

Regards.
Plenty of Surface/SurfaceBook boot loops and inoperable after firmware/Windows updates out there. This also wasn’t just a straight OS upgrade. Monterey also added a quick restore option on T2 Macs that wasn’t there before. Could be related to that and firmware changes around it.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201065

Step 1 changes for T2 Chip Macs on Monterey.

Reactions: artk2219