Question MacOS not detecting display speakers

h3r3t1k

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2012
I got this very new (on the market) LG 32UQ750-W display.

It's 4k 144Hz. Is it normal I cannot select 144Hz via Thunderbolt OR HDMI? Also what do I do if MacOS doesn't detect the interal speakers? What could this be caused by?

Ralston18

Titan
Audio cables:

If a plug does not match the hosting port then the audio signals will either not work or may only partially work.

The connections for ground, left audio, right audio, (stereo) and microphone must match on both ends. You can easily see the connections on a plug but which signal is being carried may not be obvious without specs or some testing. You can physically see the differences between at TS plug, a TRS plug, and a TRRS plug. Look at the plugs. What do you have?

Not so for the ports. And you can insert a TRRS plug into a TRS port. But the connections do not match.

If the connections do not match (and the link presents the varying standards and proprietary possibilities) then the results can be "no detection".

MacOS devices have their own standard. CTIA/Apple. If the monitor is using some other standard, e.g., OMTP/Nokia then there will be no full audio. Or none at all.

There are adapters available that will make the necessary electrical conversions so that all will match. Many such adapters tend to be low quality and thus just add to the problems. ( Some audio manufacturers used to include adapters - no such much anymore.)

= = = =

Check the new monitor's audio specs/standards. There may also be some configuration options on the monitor menu regarding internal speakers. Enable/disable ? Double check the applicable User Guide/Manuals.

Summary:

If the MacOS system is trying to detect the internal speakers via some combination of TRRS signals while the monitor is signaling the presence of internal speakers via some other combination of TRRS signals then you get "no detection".

TRENDING THREADS