Question Macrium Reflect clone failed

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
I am trying to clone my SSD (256GB, only about 2GB free) to a larger SSD (1TB) using Macrium Reflect Free. I figured out how to allocate all of the remaining free space to the C: drive with the NTFS Active partition the same size as the original and the NTFS Primary Partition a bit larger than the original partition leaving all 3 partitions in the same order as on the original SSD (occupying the entire 1TB). I got an clone failed message fairly quickly. From the progress window, the NTFS Primary partition was copied, while cloning C: the message is
"Clone failed - Error 8 - Write failed - 55 - The specified network resource or device is no longer available."

After reading that, I opened disk management where I had earlier initialized, but not formatted, the new SSD. The only drive now appearing in disk management is the original SSD (C:).

I'd appreciate any thoughts on what happened and / or what I should do.

Thanks!

CPU: Intel Core i7 LGA 1151
CPU cooler: Cooler Master
Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro
Ram: 32 GB DDR4
SSD/HDD: 3 months ago replaced SSD with Samsung V-NAND 980 Pro
GPU: none
PSU: Corsair RM850x
Chassis: Cooler Master HAF High Airflow
Monitor: Eizo 24"

USAFRet

Titan
Assuming the system works with the original drive, start over.

Just like this:
-----------------------------
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.

Syrphid

Prominent
Oct 26, 2021
Assuming the system works with the original drive, start over.

Just like this:
Specific steps for a successful clone operation:
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Both drives must be the same partitioning scheme, either MBR or GPT
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung target SSD)
If you are cloning from a SATA drive to PCIe/NVMe, you may need to install the relevant driver for this new NVMe/PCIe drive.
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up

Verify the system boots with ONLY the current "C drive" connected.
If not, we have to fix that first.

Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive

[Ignore this section if using the SDM. It does this automatically]
If you are going from a smaller drive to a larger, by default, the target partition size will be the same as the Source. You probably don't want that
You can manipulate the size of the partitions on the target (larger)drive
Click on "Cloned Partition Properties", and you can specify the resulting partition size, to even include the whole thing
[/end ignore]

Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD. This is not optional.
This is to allow the system to try to boot from ONLY the SSD

(swapping cables is irrelevant with NVMe drives, but DO disconnect the old drive for this next part)
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe all partitions on it.
This will probably require the commandline diskpart function, and the clean command.

Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Thanks but I feel pretty confident that I had done everything correctly because my husband and I just used Macrium Reflect to clone his SSD to a new SSD yesterday. The only difference was that he used a 30-day trial which let him select "Fill Space" to allocate the additional space to C: while I used a copy of Macrium Reflect Free which was already on my computer. I dragged each partition in order and when I added the C: partition specified how much space I wanted it to occupy before dragging the final NTFS Primary partition behind it.

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks but I feel pretty confident that I had done everything correctly because my husband and I just used Macrium Reflect to clone his SSD to a new SSD yesterday. The only difference was that he used a 30-day trial which let him select "Fill Space" to allocate the additional space to C: while I used a copy of Macrium Reflect Free which was already on my computer. I dragged each partition in order and when I added the C: partition specified how much space I wanted it to occupy before dragging the final NTFS Primary partition behind it.
Seeing as it did not work, there is either a hardware problem, or you did something not quite right.

Trying it again is the free and easy first step.