Macrium Reflect Imaged Partitions are Unformatted

romkslrqusz

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018
Title basically says it - I created a Macrium Reflect image of my drive using PE6, default options. The image itself is 100GB, from a 1TB drive that wasn't particularly full.

After a reinstall of Windows, when I attempt to mount the image the partitions show as being empty and unformatted - Windows prompts me to format the virtual drives.

Source drive has ceased use and is undergoing recovery. I am currently cloning the image onto a spare drive, as I presume to sector map to be intact since the image has a rather large filesize.

How could this have happened, and are there simpler steps for recovery that I could be employing to get my data from the image?

romkslrqusz

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

Using the Macrium software. Just double clicking the image file, choosing which partitions I want to mount, and mounting them.

Usually it would just show up as a virtual drive in my computer's drive list in explorer.

USAFRet

Titan

I just tried it...v7.1, and it works just fine
2inysvE.png

Either you're doing it incorrectly, or it was created incorrectly.

And I just tried it via simple doubleclicking, and that indeed failed.
Macrium started, but gave a Fail error message.
Go through the actual Macrium GUI, rather than just doubleclicking the .mrimg file.

romkslrqusz

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

It's the same either way. Without a doubt the image was not created correctly or i'd see files and the partitions would show as NTFS.

I'm just looking for a way to access my 100GB of data that is definitely present within the image in some capacity.

USAFRet

Titan

If that data is in a corrupt Macrium image, there's probably not a lot you can do.
I can't think of anything.

What does Macrium do if you try to recover that image to a new drive or partition?

romkslrqusz

Honorable
Jan 29, 2018

That's what's interesting - in the past, when i've had corrupt images, I couldn't even get to the point of mounting the partitions - these are mounting and taking on drive letters just fine. It's a lot like when you use Macrium to image a filesystem it doesn't recognize like HFS.

I'm restoring the image to a cleaned drive now so I can scan the sectors for the data.