[SOLVED] Macrium Reflect Keeps Freezing

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
I'm using Macrium to create a system image, but it keeps freezing around 12%.

I tried it once and the hard drive fell off the table but stayed connected, but I got some kind of error message. I tried it again and it froze at 13%. Then tried again and it's not frozen at 12%.

Does anyone know of potential fixes for this? Maybe the hard drive was damaged from the fall?

Thanks!

Solution
While the USB External Hard Drive is connected, open Device Manager.
Eject the USB External Hard Drive using the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the taskbar.
Before unplugging the USB cable from the PC, uninstall the hardware that appears with a yellow triangle on the devices manager.
It could be under Storage controllers or Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Unplug the USB External Hard Drive from the PC.
On the Device Manager, click the View tab and select Show hidden devices.
Uninstall all hidden devices (greyed out) under Storage devices, Storage controllers or Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Restart the computer, connect the USB External Hard Drive and try again.

I tried it once and the hard drive fell off the table but stayed connected, but I got some kind of error message. I tried it again and it froze at 13%. Then tried again and it's not frozen at 12%.

Does anyone know of potential fixes for this? Maybe the hard drive was damaged from the fall?

Thanks!
There is a possibility that dropping a HDD, specially while spinning could have damaged it.
Try testing the hard drive, by running a health test and see if it got damaged.

USAFRet

Titan

Thanks!
What specific error message did Macrium give you?

I suspect this is a non-readable HDD.

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
There is a possibility that dropping a HDD, specially while spinning could have damaged it.
Try testing the hard drive, by running a health test and see if it got damaged.

I used WMIC which said "OK", and also checked the disk for errors which came back negative.

What specific error message did Macrium give you?

I suspect this is a non-readable HDD.

No specific error, it just froze at 12%. I left it for about 30 mins, but it never passed 12%.

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
While the USB External Hard Drive is connected, open Device Manager.
Eject the USB External Hard Drive using the Safely Remove Hardware icon on the taskbar.
Before unplugging the USB cable from the PC, uninstall the hardware that appears with a yellow triangle on the devices manager.
It could be under Storage controllers or Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Unplug the USB External Hard Drive from the PC.
On the Device Manager, click the View tab and select Show hidden devices.
Uninstall all hidden devices (greyed out) under Storage devices, Storage controllers or Universal Serial Bus controllers.
Restart the computer, connect the USB External Hard Drive and try again.

Solution

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
Have you tried using Seagate SeaTools diagnostic tool to check the health of your drive?
If the drive is failing, then try a recovery solution before it becomes inaccessible.

Ok well I'm pretty sure something is wrong with the drive.

I downloaded and installed the program. Tried to open it and it kept freezing. Restarted and unplugged the hard drive and it opened fine. Plugged it back it and it froze again.

Also, I don't know what exactly is happening, but when the drive is plugged in Windows Explorer is extremely slow. It will freeze and respond very slowly. Not just when I'm accessing the drive (D) but when I'm accessing my main drive (C) as well.

So I don't know what that's about.

So it doesn't look like I can even use Seagate diagnostics unfortunately.

mkmossop

Reputable
May 17, 2016
I do not think, fixing it could be an option.
You should try copying your data to a safer place.
It could be either the drive or the enclosure.
After getting your data into a safe place, you could try opening the enclosure and see if pacing the HDD in another one helps.

How do I copy the data if I Windows explorer won't let me see it?