[SOLVED] Macrium Reflect

Midhun Kumar

Commendable
Jul 17, 2021
I am planning to use an external HDD to to create an image file of my system partition using Macrium Reflect. I want to know whether my HDD will be formatted in the process. If not, then can I use the externall HDD containing the iso file normally, like for storing media & other files?

Solution
I want to create a backup image of my entire system using Reflect. My laptop has a 1TB HDD. It has no partitons, its a whole single drive. 56GB of the space is used. But, when I see in Reflect, it shows 4 different partitions
1 system_DRV, fat32(lba) primary, 30mb free/260mb
2 (None), unformatted primary, 16mb/16mb
3 Windows (c), NTFS primary, 56gb/930gb
4 WINRE_DRV, NTFS primary, 502mb/1000mb
Wat should I do? Should I select all the partitions for creating the image?
Yes. Select ALL partitions.
Creating an Image of that will result in a single file of 50-55GB.

USAFRet

Titan
I am planning to use an external HDD to to create an image file of my system partition using Macrium Reflect. I want to know whether my HDD will be formatted in the process. If not, then can I use the externall HDD containing the iso file normally, like for storing media & other files?
If you use Macrium to make an Image, the rest of the drive can be used as normal.
An Image results in a single file.....xxxx.mrimage.

Reactions: Midhun Kumar

USAFRet

Titan
My external HDD will be formatted during the backup process? (I am new to Reflect, so, I am asking this for a confirmation)
No, it does not get formatted.
Macrium just writes a single file out to the target drive.

I have all my systems, and each drive individually, write Images out to a space on my NAS.
Multiple systems, over a dozen individual drives, all in one folder tree.

Instead of the NAS, that could just as easily be an external drive or two.

Midhun Kumar

Commendable
Jul 17, 2021
I want to create a backup image of my entire system using Reflect. My laptop has a 1TB HDD. It has no partitons, its a whole single drive. 56GB of the space is used. But, when I see in Reflect, it shows 4 different partitions

USAFRet

Titan
Yes. Select ALL partitions.
Creating an Image of that will result in a single file of 50-55GB.

Solution

Midhun Kumar

Commendable
Jul 17, 2021
I created a system image. On the backup schedule plan window, I unckeceked all those boxes saying Full backup, Incremental backup, Purge backup & the like (because, I just want to create a one time backup). The backup image finally created was of about 27GB (real used space in my laptop is about 57GB). Unticking those options make a difference in the image? The image finally created covers all the data on my laptop?

USAFRet

Titan
I created a system image. On the backup schedule plan window, I unckeceked all those boxes saying Full backup, Incremental backup, Purge backup & the like (because, I just want to create a one time backup). The backup image finally created was of about 27GB (real used space in my laptop is about 57GB). Unticking those options make a difference in the image? The image finally created covers all the data on my laptop?
An Image leaves off things like the pagefile and hibernation file. It also does a little bit of compression.
Hence, the differing sizes.