Question Macrum Reflect has screwed me up

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I used to use Norton ghost but made the fatal mistake of changing to Macrum (Crap) reflect.

I used to have 2 SSDs and they appeared on Computer management as
[SSD1_C] [SSD1_D] [SSD1_E]
[SSD2_C] [SSD2_D]

After going back to a previous image for window on [SSD1_C]

I have all my labels mixed up in computer management I have
[SSD2_C] [SSD1_E] [Unalocated]
[SSD1_C] [SSD2_D]

According to computer management I have partitions from different SSDs on the same SSD and ALL MY DATA [SSD1_D]
is now lost forever. It is now uncatalogued. A total [bad language] of Macrum.

Are their any geniuses out there that can get all my un-allocated data back PLEASE.

I used to use Norton ghost but made the fatal mistake of changing to Macrum (Crap) reflect.
Yeah sadly norton doesn't work on modern disk anymore.
I used to have 2 SSDs and they appeared on Computer management as
[SSD1_C] [SSD1_D] [SSD1_E]
[SSD2_C] [SSD2_D]

After going back to a previous image for window on [SSD1_C]

I have all my labels mixed up in computer management I have
[SSD2_C] [SSD1_E] [Unalocated]
[SSD1_C] [SSD2_D]
In disk management you can right click on any partition and change the drive letter associated with it.

You can use partition recovery software to try and get the unallocated data partition back. Testdisk is a free one that is pretty good.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I gave all the partitions on SSD1 names. SSD1_C, SSD1_D and SSD_E
are 3 parttions on one SSD I did this to help me in case Windows renamed the lettering
According to this I have two SSD2_C labeled partitions . one on each physical SSD

All the partitions on [SSD1] are called _C, _D, and _E
All the partitions on [SSD2] are called _C and D

The letters in brackets are Microsoft renaming. I do not have a H drive.

If you ignore the letters in brackets and concentrate on the _C,D,E AND
I now have an un-allocted partion with all my documents on it. Gone forever.

Which drive was which?
First SSD had 3 partitions _C, _D and _E all starting with SSD1
This should be simple to understand.

Why the image recovery? . I wanted to go back to an origianl installation in order to upgrade to Windows 10. That way if anything went wrong I could go back.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
I see 4 partitions with data.

Disk 0 has 195.31GB (C) and 154.17GB (H)
Disk 1 has 195.31GB (D, possibly empty) and 251.82GB (E)

Is this correct?

You made Images of both these physical drives?
Where were/are those images stored?

Then you did a Restore of these images?

I gave all the partitions on SSD1 names. SSD1_C, SSD1_D and SSD_E
are 3 parttions on one SSD I did this to help me in case Windows renamed the lettering
According to this I have two SSD2_C labeled partitions . one on each physical SSD

All the partitions on [SSD1] are called _C, _D, and _E
All the partitions on [SSD2] are called _C and D

The letters in brackets are Microsoft renaming. I do not have a H drive.

If you ignore the letters in brackets and concentrate on the _C,D,E AND
I now have an un-allocted partion with all my documents on it. Gone forever.

Which drive was which?
First SSD had 3 partitions _C, _D and _E all starting with SSD1
This should be simple to understand.

Why the image recovery? . I wanted to go back to an origianl installation in order to upgrade to Windows 10. That way if anything went wrong I could go back.
Off yeah, you recovered (or straight up cloned) an image of ssd2_c to ssd1_c which was smaller then what you had on ssd1_c before and that's why the rest of it is now unallocated.
(And why they are both named the same now)
Unless you have backups there is no going back from that.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
NO you are just not getting it.
Disk 0 has a Partition SSD2 and a Partion SSD1. Why can you not understand SSD1 belongs to physical SSD1 and SSD2 belongs to physical SSD2

Let me put this to you AGAIN.

I have two SSDs. Are you with me so far?

My first SSD was called SSD1. Do you understand this?

I created 3 partitions on this FIRST SSD called SSD1_C, SSD1_D and SSD1_E

What part of this do you NOT understand? 3 partitions on SSD1 called SSD1_C, SSD1_C and SSD1_E. This should be plain english to most people. I can not have two partitons on Disk 0 SSD1_ and SSD2_

These belong to difrent SSDs. Windows has swapped all my labels around.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
No. I had plenty of space an all partitions. Windows has changed my partions around. I used an image on SSD2 back onto tge first partion of SSD1 . There was no shortage of space. I used hi crompression of images. I over wrote the original contents.

I did not clone SSD 2 onto SSD1. I used SSD2 for the bloody image file of SS1

Last edited:
NO you are just not getting it.
Disk 0 has a Partition SSD2 and a Partion SSD1. Why can you not understand SSD1 belongs to physical SSD1 and SSD2 belongs to physical SSD2

Let me put this to you AGAIN.

I have two SSDs. Are you with me so far?

My first SSD was called SSD1. Do you understand this?

I created 3 partitions on this FIRST SSD called SSD1_C, SSD1_D and SSD1_E

What part of this do you NOT understand? 3 partitions on SSD1 called SSD1_C, SSD1_C and SSD1_E. This should be plain english to most people. I can not have two partitons on Disk 0 SSD1_ and SSD2_

These belong to difrent SSDs. Windows has swapped all my labels around.
Making a clone means that the target will be a clone of the source, do you know what clone means? A perfect copy and that includes names, Your first partition of the first ssd is now called ssd2_c because it is a perfect copy of the first partition of your second ssd, they have the exact same Gb.

carocuore

Respectable
Jan 24, 2021
The program cloned "SSD2_C" from "Disk 1" into "Disk 0" and all of the data has been overwritten, that's why the labels are different.
This has nothing to do with Windows, all Windows does is display the partition labels matching those in the partition tables on the disks.

If you want to recover whatever data is left on the Unallocated space first you have to allocate it by creating a new volume and name it whatever you want, then run a recovery program to scan that volume in particular and see if something can be recovered.
Most likely you won't be able to recover anything from the overwritten partition though.

PaulDesmond

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2016
I had problems with the resore originaly It wanted to put the image onto the wrong SSD.

Simple question can the un alocated partion be recovered in any way

Can someone please look at disk 1. This is the second SSD acording to Windows.

The first partion called SSD_C (I) has 42G used of 195G this is clearly not full.
The second partiton is un allocated. This has nothing to do with trying to put too much onto the first partiton.

Last edited:
Where are the original backup .mrimg files and are they not still intact? Could you not just restore the images again to the correct ssds? Since you as the user select the location where an image is restored it is not possible for Macrium to put an image on the wrong ssd.