Mad Catz Interactive Files For Bankruptcy, Ceases Operations

Status
Not open for further replies.

bloodroses

Distinguished
It doesn't surprise me since they've been struggling for a while. In every segment they were involved with, they've faced stiff (and almost always better) competition. Their best line of devices IMO was their arcade fight sticks; a niche market that Hori and Qanba did better.

dstarr3

Distinguished
Well, that's a shame. But to be honest, it was never a brand I associated with quality. I assume I'm not the only one and that must have a lot to do with their downfall.

Dagz45

Commendable
Feb 13, 2017
they were the company that if my kids were having a sleepover, and didn't have enough controllers, id run to the store and buy one theirs. Usually cheap and I didn't care if they go damaged. But I feel bad for everyone losing jobs.

torka

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Finally! My childhood is haunted with times when there weren't enough real N64 controllers to go around and I got stuck with the MadCatz.

They were always cheap, and never quality. In my experience, they were a detriment to the joy of playing games.

G

I never liked any of their products. The controllers, mice, were pretty much junk, ugly, and overpriced (for what they were). You can only go so long making products no one wants. Reading the comments, I see I'm not the only one. I wasn't familiar with their arcade joysticks.

Never really a fan, they were always the cheap knock offs for gaming stations. Not sure how they were in more recent years but that's always what I've associated them with. Reputations as being the cheapo option tend to stick. Thankfully Logitech bought Saitek before MC decided to crash and burn.

MusenMouse

Respectable
Mar 24, 2016
I think the only product of Mad Catz I ever bought was one of their GameCube memory sticks. It was one of those ones with 32 times the normal memory which was a god send back then. Wonder if it still works?

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Tried their products. A R.A.T. 7 and Eclipse III. Replaced the Eclipse III 3 times before I just gave up on it. The R.A.T. felt cheap with a couple annoying design issues. It's unfortunate because I had great luck with the Saitek Eclipse and Eclipse II when they were not owned by Mad Catz. A failure rate of 3 out of 4 is completely unacceptable to me and I never bought another one of their products.

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Madcats Tournament Edition Fightsticks are top notch build quality as they use Sanwa buttons and joystick which premium pro grade parts. In general Hori and Seimitis sticks and button are of a bit lesser quality though Seimitis's short throw sticks are actually ideal for Shmup's however you can modify a Sanwa stick to actually be even better quality.

Psychojack

Prominent
Mar 31, 2017
Well i used their devices for years now and i don't understand all the negative comments. Had a RAT7 and 9 and loved it. They dare new designs which received negative feedbacks but then their RAT designs were copied by Razer and a few other companies ... they were not cheap indeed though

Musaab

Reputable
Sep 29, 2014
Mad Catz abandoned the PC audience about three years ago. The keyboards where expensive and out dated, there is not even one mechanical keyboard in the market with Mad Catz branding on it, the mice are out dated and the only change is the sensor and they are expensive.
You want a top performers comb go for Logitech G502 + G810 for the cost of R.A.T mouse only. You want something crazy go for Logitech G900+G910 and they still cost less than a three years old Mad Catz keyboard. That comparison with Logitech offerings only, you can find more with Razor, Corsair ,Roccat, ASUS ROG and even Tesoro, Sound Blaster and other small names.

NightLight

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
I bought a "spare" xbox controller when the 360 first came out, and have been using it ever since and it's still alive. As it's the only product I bought from them, I never had any negative experience with their products...

HyperMatrix

Distinguished
May 23, 2015
It's their own fault. Every time they put out a new mouse, it wouldn't be available for months. They made the rat pro x mouse with upgradeable sensors, but sensors never went on sale.

It's sad because their mice are probably the best on the market. Have the Rat8 right now which is absolutely flawless. But by not having any availability, they ended up hurting themselves.

Poorly managed company.

Rodney Wilder

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2013
Still have a Panther XL. One day I'll do the USB mod to it so I can actually use it again. Were a great Joystick back in the day, too bad they discontinued the design.

quasarzx12

Commendable
May 20, 2016
Had A RAT 9, that was very well built, and love their ergonomics, since we can make it adjust to hand size and taste.

Sold it and buy a RAT Pro X. Same ergonomics as RAT 9. Still using it and no problem what so ever with it.

Too bad they didn’t made a wireless version.

Best mices I own.

3ogdy

Distinguished
Where shall we start.
Mad Catz is going down :

1.Good. Never liked their products or design. I understand they were trying to be different, but they should've also provided something wonderfully designed, something better than the competition. Looking at their product portfolio, I feel like they were just trying to bring something different - not necessarily better. Companies make mistakes (Logitech MX Master's side buttons positioning would be one), but making mistakes out of entire products is a different thing. Not that addressing niche markets was the best way to keep the company afloat, anyway.

2.Bad news. Less variety is never great for the customer. Alternatives are always good to have. I kind of liked their Strike 7 keyboard as Logitech disappointed me by not releasing KBs with displays anymore (G19 is just not that nice, due to bulkiness) and they just said : "Well, put your phone over your keyboard and pretend you have a peripheral with a screen...", but one keyboard isn't going to save the boat.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never used Mad Catz stuff. I'm a firm believer in 'hands on' testing of stuff like mice, kb's, joysticks etc. And Mad Catz stuff always just 'felt' wrong for me. It was never comfortable to grip, oddly sized, or had options that were totally useless except for a few situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.