Mad Video Corruption......Any Ideas?

G

I’m having a major issue w/ my system and it’s driving me crazy. It’s like this, when I try to run any game or benchmark that utilizes Direct 3D I get extreme video corruption. Now if I switch over to Open GL the problems go away and my system screams. However in 3DMark2001, Giants, Tribes II, and B&W I get flashing textures, very distorted renderings, and very low frame rates. (I talking 2-6 fps) Even when I do a Direct 3D diag. I get corruption. I’ve installed all the newest drivers, updated my BIOS, and reinstalled Windows ME & 98. I don’t have any conflicts IRQ, DMA or other wise. In the BIOS I’ve tried the default settings, the high performance settings and the most compatible settings, and yes I have disabled the on board sound and made sure the AGP memory is set correctly. I’ve switched out my video card w/ a Creative Nvidia TNT. I’ve switched out my motherboard w/ the exact same type. I’ve switched out my RAM (256 PC100 to 256 PC133), I’ve have no extra peripherals on my system, the only thing I haven’t changed is my CPU, HDs, Floppy and CD-ROMs. I’ve read through tons of FAQ’s, Readme’s and anything I can get my hands on, and I’ve only found the generic solution “Reinstalled or update your drivers.” This is killing me, has anybody run into this issue? Any ideas? Suggestion? Fixes? I’m all ears, Thx.

System info:

AMD 1000mhz Thunderbird (Not over clocked)
80 gig HD (Two 40 gig HDs)
GeForce 2 MX Jaton
(v1101, v1080, Detonator 4, and Detonator 3)
MSI K7T Pro2-A
(Latest Bios 2.50)
Chipset VIA Apollo KT133
(4in1428v VIA drivers)
Direct X 8.0 and 8.0a

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Going with the outstanding stability of win98, i'd say crash/restore your system. A clean install works miracles with every flavor of windows so far......

warmfuzzies

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Try evaluating a tool such as NVMax from tweakfiles.com, in that you can enable/disable any of the d3d options which should help if you have tearing, or any other issues, its quite good, with the added bonus that it will completely uninstall your drivers thus allowing a proper and clean re-install.
Personally I'd go for the 1080's I have tried almost all of the det's and for sheer speed nothing comes close on my gladiac ultra.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Since you have DirectX 8.0a definitely go with the Detonator 4, version 10.80 drivers as someone else mentioned.

Try <A HREF="http://www.geforcefaq.com" target="_new">www.geforcefaq.com</A>. There is lots of good information there. Search for "flashing textures". You will find about 8-10 tips, one of which will hopefully solve your problem.

TRENDING THREADS