[SOLVED] Made a mess of cloning, I think...

Oct 28, 2019
I have tried to clone my original 256 ssd from a new lenovo laptop to a 1tb samsung ssd. I did this via samsung data migrations software. After reboot it would seem that the pc is still thinking it is seeing the old hard drive. If I look at explorer it shows a 256 gb drive and a 1tb drive. Only the 1 tb is connected (internally btw). Disk management shows me two drives and if I click on the properties of the disk 0 it says it is the old disk not the new samsung disk. No idea what to do to clean the mess up

Solution
I wonder...
is the New Samsung an M2 drive or Sata?
I'm thinking you swapped the Samsung in place of an Optane module and we are still seeing an installed SDD? (judging by its size) in your Disk Management screenshot.

Or perhaps you replaced an HDD with an SSD and still have an M2 installed. <-- that makes the most sense now that i think about it.

Whats the exact model# of the lenovo you have?
Oct 28, 2019
I should also add that I don't seem to be able to do anything with the drives. Can't extend any of them and the only one I have the option to delete is the windows d drive.
When I saw the problem first I deleted the old drive in device manager to see if that helped but it didn't and if I go back into disk manager now I can still see the old drive again despite a reboot after deleting

popatim

Titan
I wonder...
is the New Samsung an M2 drive or Sata?
I'm thinking you swapped the Samsung in place of an Optane module and we are still seeing an installed SDD? (judging by its size) in your Disk Management screenshot.

Or perhaps you replaced an HDD with an SSD and still have an M2 installed. <-- that makes the most sense now that i think about it.

Whats the exact model# of the lenovo you have?

Solution
Oct 28, 2019
It is a lenovo E495, I believe there it only came with one harddrive. I realise it says there are two drives, that's the problem really. I dropped it in this morning to get fixed as there doesn't seem to be an easy answer. I'll update the post if I get an answer.

Oct 28, 2019
Just to confirm it was a mini M2 that was in the laptop. I had no idea these existed so that's why I didn't see it. the standard 2.5" hard drive that was in there was just a dummy! So new hardrive installed which means I will now have 2 drives. A bit annoying as I was planning on using the original drive in an old pc but not to worry.

USAFRet

Titan
Just to confirm it was a mini M2 that was in the laptop. I had no idea these existed so that's why I didn't see it. the standard 2.5" hard drive that was in there was just a dummy! So new hardrive installed which means I will now have 2 drives. A bit annoying as I was planning on using the original drive in an old pc but not to worry.
So now it appears you have Windows on two drives?
You need to fix that.