[SOLVED] Made a new computer and it doesn't start up properly.

Jun 8, 2020
When i start up my pc it just stops on the MSI logo and nothing happens but oddly enough if i hit the reset button it starts up just fine, and then it works 100% fine until i turn it off and start it up, and then the same issue happens.
it worries me slightly and im not sure if there is anything i can do to fix this.

specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Mini Video Card
and im not sure if the other stuff matters

Solution
Your processor is an AMD Ryzen 3700X which is the exact processor that I have in my rig. The difference is the motherboard. Chipset drivers are not part of the bios. They are separate. The best chipset drivers for the new Ryzen processors will come straight from AMD. It is no different from downloading the most current video drivers from Nvidia rather than the OEM. Trust me, I have been through this before. Make sure that you have the most current Windows version if you can. I had problems because I tried to do a fresh install from a Windows 10 cd. Those problems ended once I installed Win 10 Pro version 1909.

Lutfij

Titan
Please list your specs like so:
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

i.e your full system's specs. Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard if you're able to get into the BIOS page without issues.

Which slots are you populating the rams on the motherboard?

Jun 8, 2020
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

Ram: Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
the ram is hooked into the two farthest slots from the cpu

SSD/HDD: PNY CS900 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.
Seagate BarraCuda 3 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Mini Video Card

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

and i have a very very old dvd drive i took for an old pc
sorry i didnt post properly, this is my first time using this site

Ferimer

Distinguished
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

SSD/HDD: PNY CS900 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive.
Seagate BarraCuda 3 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Mini Video Card

PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

and i have a very very old dvd drive i took for an old pc
sorry i didnt post properly, this is my first time using this site
THE RAM IS IN THE TWO FARTHEST SLOTS?? Meaning side by side?? Ram works like this usually ()[]()[]. the [] is usually where the 2 ram sticks need to go. Not side by side. If you look closely at the motherboard you will see a word followed by a number CLICK THIS. You should have the RAM in the slots that say DIMMA2 and DIMMB2

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
If you are trying to install an older version of Windows 10 rather than using the Media Creation Tool to install your Windows 10 operating system, you will get the blue screen of death with an error message that says, "clock_watchdog_timeout." The current version of Windows as of Tuesday was version 2004. Make sure that you are installing version 2004. The new Ryzen processors need the most up-to-date drivers and operating system. Once you have Win 10 installed, do not install the chipset drivers from the motherboard cd. Download the chipset drivers straight from AMD. After installing the AMD drivers, you can go to your motherboard makers web page and download the most up-to-date apps.

Jun 8, 2020
If you are trying to install an older version of Windows 10 rather than using the Media Creation Tool to install your Windows 10 operating system, you will get the blue screen of death with an error message that says, "clock_watchdog_timeout." The current version of Windows as of Tuesday was version 2004. Make sure that you are installing version 2004. The new Ryzen processors need the most up-to-date drivers and operating system. Once you have Win 10 installed, do not install the chipset drivers from the motherboard cd. Download the chipset drivers straight from AMD. After installing the AMD drivers, you can go to your motherboard makers web page and download the most up-to-date apps.

i already have windows installed, my pc works 100% flawlessly besides the strange startup issue, im not sure what you mean by downloading chipset drivers from amd, when i made this pc i had to update my bios but i did that directly from the msi site

Last edited:

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016
Your processor is an AMD Ryzen 3700X which is the exact processor that I have in my rig. The difference is the motherboard. Chipset drivers are not part of the bios. They are separate. The best chipset drivers for the new Ryzen processors will come straight from AMD. It is no different from downloading the most current video drivers from Nvidia rather than the OEM. Trust me, I have been through this before. Make sure that you have the most current Windows version if you can. I had problems because I tried to do a fresh install from a Windows 10 cd. Those problems ended once I installed Win 10 Pro version 1909.

Solution
Jun 8, 2020

thanks for the help, i really appreciate it, i just updated my chipset driver (i think) and i tried to see if the issue was gone, it isnt, was me updating my bios a bad thing?

Last edited:

Juan_Bijero

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2016

The ram modules need to be in A2 and B2. I have never heard of T-Force Vulcan Z ram. Has MSI certified your ram modules to work with Ryzen 7 3700X?
is there a way to undo that or am i just kinda screwed?

You can move the ram modules to the 2nd and 4th slots. You can also re-flash your bios to the original bios.

Jun 8, 2020
i did just now, the issue is still there, im thinking it might be the bios update i did when i first made the pc, how exactly do i rest the bios? is it safe?
i assume the ram works, i just kinda go by if pc part picker says its ok, and it does.
not sure if thats dumb or not but i dont really know what to do otherwise
id insert a picture of the bios version i used but i dont know how to upload pictures

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020
When i start up my pc it just stops on the MSI logo and nothing happens but oddly enough if i hit the reset button it starts up just fine, and then it works 100% fine until i turn it off and start it up, and then the same issue happens.
it worries me slightly and im not sure if there is anything i can do to fix this.

specs:
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 Motherboard
Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Mini Video Card
and im not sure if the other stuff matters
i.e your full system's specs. Also, make sure you're on the latest BIOS update for your motherboard if you're able to get into the BIOS page without issues.