Question Made a stupid rookie mistake. Plugged PSU 8pin (CPU) into GPU

mrbognig

Reputable
Sep 6, 2016
Hey guys. I'm new to building PC from scratch, I have only upgraded parts before.
Decided it was time to try to build one by myself.

I plugged everything in and it seemed to work fine, except my screen was black, but fans were running and everything was cool.
I have a 2070 Super and my PCU power supply cable for the graphics card only have a 6+2 and it seem it needs 2x8 pins. I decided to use the 6 pin (correct one) and the other which is supposed to go the motherboard(CPU), 8pin (It doesn't fit, but with some willpower and strength it does...). It started making crackling noise and smelled burnt.

Now I know where the mistake is, and what I did wrong. I'm wondering, when making such a mistake, what do you fry? The GPU? PSU? Motherboard ... everything?

Thanks in advance. Remember that you learn from mistakes! Some mistakes however ... Can be really expensive.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Oh no, thats the most expensive part ... PSU smells like dinner aswell

That's the only silver lining. If this PSU only had a single 6+2 connector, that was a giant, blazing red siren that this was a low-quality PSU that had little business being used in a build like this, even if the 2070 Super did not require two connectors.

The GPU is almost certainly dead. The PSU is thankfully dead. You won't know about other things until you have at least a new PSU, hopefully one of the proper quality.

TRENDING THREADS