[SOLVED] Made my windows drive the downloads folder

May 20, 2020
So I may just have done something bad to my windows...

First the normal "downloads" folder was on my C drive (a small ssd where I put windows in), but because it is just 120 gb I wanted to move it to another ssd of 1tb (my E drive) and made the entire drive the downloads folder by accident so... long story short: I turned my entire C drive into the downloads folder.
So after that, I made the proper folder on my E drive and while I didn't lose any files doing this it did messed up some of my folders: like the documents or videos because I had to relocate them; my question: is my windows drive ok? I'm just afraid that when I boot it up again windows doesn't find folders or files that were supposed to be on C because of this mess and isn't capable of starting. Should I do something to impede this?

Solution

First the normal "downloads" folder was on my C drive (a small ssd where I put windows in), but because it is just 120 gb I wanted to move it to another ssd of 1tb (my E drive) and made the entire drive the downloads folder by accident so... long story short: I turned my entire C drive into the downloads folder.
So after that, I made the proper folder on my E drive and while I didn't lose any files doing this it did messed up some of my folders: like the documents or videos because I had to relocate them; my question: is my windows drive ok? I'm just afraid that when I boot it up again windows doesn't find folders or files that were supposed to be on C because of...

So after that, I made the proper folder on my E drive and while I didn't lose any files doing this it did messed up some of my folders: like the documents or videos because I had to relocate them; my question: is my windows drive ok? I'm just afraid that when I boot it up again windows doesn't find folders or files that were supposed to be on C because of this mess and isn't capable of starting. Should I do something to impede this?
In cmd as admin....
In this order
Sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

/Source:repairSource\install.wim

Reactions: Deovolt
Solution
May 20, 2020
In cmd as admin....
In this order
Sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

/Source:repairSource\install.wim

Sfc/ did repair some "corrupt files"
the DISM comands found no corrupt component so didn´t do anything
but the /source command did not work: "the system cannot find the path specified"
I am running cmd as administrator

should I do something else or the windows files are ok at this point?

Last edited:
May 20, 2020
And the Download folder is where, precisely?

Right click, Properties, Location tab.
It is now a folder inside my E drive as I originally intended it to be, what happened was that I accidentally I turned my E, and shortly after, my C drive into it because I just relocated it to the "E folder" the same as my "C folder", I´ll be more careful of those things now

For downloads through your browsers, you can designate any folder on your system.

My browsers save to a whole other system and subfolder.
Generally moving the folder does nothing but copy a shortcut
It is now a folder inside my E drive as I originally intended it to be, what happened was that I accidentally I turned my E, and shortly after, my C drive into it because I just relocated it to the "E folder" the same as my "C folder", I´ll be more careful of those things now

Sorry wrong person

USAFRet

Titan
Generally moving the folder does nothing but copy a shortcut
The Location properties just tells Windows where that DL folder is located. In a system with multiple users, those Libs are permission restricted to that User.

But the browser settings also can hold a specific location. Which could be completely different from the Download library Windows knows about..

The top 2 are Edge and FF on my main system, the 3rd one is on my HTPC. Drive letter N and "DV2" are the same place on the NAS box, a volume with a mapped drive letter N.

TYbUV8A.png

Colif

Win 11 Master
I doubt DISM fix this, as its not a windows problem exactly

Try running system restore as if you have a restore point prior to mistake it should revert it
  • type "restore" then open "create a restore point"
  • create a new Restore Point now for C-drive
  • then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)

Try running system restore as if you have a restore point prior to mistake it should revert it
  • then open the newest restore point that is prior to the problem happening (if you have one)
Dism wasn't to fix the download location it was to fix the shutdown restart issue....

..... Wow.... Your going to have him lose so much progress over something thats already fixed and he just said is fixed..... Dism was just to fix the restart and shutdown issues he already fixed his other isssue....