Mafia 3 60fps Stutter

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
I have a really weird stuttering issue with mafia 3 I hope I can get some help with. I know the game is famous for poor frame rates but even with a solid 60fps, the game still has a really noticeable stutter. I currently have in game vsync off and enabled in control panel and fps set to unlimited in game. If I set the in game fps to 60, the game seems to cap at 58 according to afterburner, though it does appear smoother for some reason. Turning vsync off all together helps but results in some pretty major tearing. Any thoughts as to why it's stuttering so bad with a solid 60fps?

Win 10
I7 7700k
Rtx 2080
16g ddr4
500g ssd
750 gold corsair psu
3440 x 1440 60hz Ultrawide

I played Mafia III when it released on my then i7-950 (stock) and HD 7970 (stock), and the performance was not only crappy, the heavy blur and color filters they hard coded in made it look like crap.

I found this Color Correction/Blur Removal mod by Nyclix, and it totally changed my opinion of the game. Suddenly it looked and performed way better.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnRybaYPqM"][/video]

Link to mod https://sfx.thelazy.net/games/preset/6205/

cadefoster

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks for the mod info, definitely looks like it makes a difference. I actually don't have a huge problem with the game visuals, its just this annoying stutter I cant seem to get rid off. I can't figure out why it stutters when fps is set to unlimited and i'm getting a solid 60fps with control panel vsync. And to make things weirder, why is the game capping to 58 with in game fps is set to 60? I suspect the issue is v sync related because even if I turn v sync off and use riva tuner to cap my fps to 60, the game still tears even though its not dropping below 60.

It's been a while since I played it, but I think it may have been one of those titles that had terrible vsync and didn't work with external vsync well.

Have you tried playing it at 2560x1440? Maybe it just doesn't work well in Ultrawide. Also, sometimes capping FPS to just below your refresh makes some games play smoother, like 58.

And try the latest 417.01 driver if you haven't, it could be something RTX driver related. Lastly, try using Nvidia Inspector 1.9.7.8. It might make it play a bit smoother. Like most games, it has a Mafia III profile.

I checked WideScreenGamingForum to see about Ultrawide, and Mafia III is not even in their master games list, which is not a good sign. Usually that means it doesn't support ultrawide properly. Search their forum for threads on it though, sometimes you can get tips that way.

If Hangar 13 weren't owned by 2K Games, you have to wonder if they'd have gone bust by now. Definitely try the mod I linked though, that saved the game for me for sure. It's a bit tricky to install, but not too bad.

TRENDING THREADS