Question mag241c 1ms or 4ms freesync

clembez

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Hi recently purchased the MSI Mag241c. It has 1ms response time but only if freesync is off and the brightness cannot be changed. You can up contrast but then the blacks look too grey (bearable anyway).

Would it be better to play at 4ms with freesync enabled or is better with 1ms no freesync and dark in some games instead.

I play fps and slower mode games. I am leaning towards 4ms freesync mainly because im a casual gamer.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I have MSI Optix MAG241CR (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig) and i'm using mine with 2ms response time without any degradation to the brightness and without any visible ghosting the 4ms produces.

Give it a try. From MSI Gaming OSD, select "Fast" response time to get 2ms. "Normal" gives the 4ms and "Fastest" gives 1ms but dims the brightness.

clembez

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
I have MSI Optix MAG241CR (Skylake build, full specs with pics in my sig) and i'm using mine with 2ms response time without any degradation to the brightness and without any visible ghosting the 4ms produces.

Give it a try. From MSI Gaming OSD, select "Fast" response time to get 2ms. "Normal" gives the 4ms and "Fastest" gives 1ms but dims the brightness.

Thanks. However everywhere I read that the fast setting 4ms, normal is 5ms and fastest is 1 ms. if fast is 2ms then its an obvious choice. You sure?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Here's a review of MAG241C,
link: https://www.displayninja.com/msi-optix-mag241c-review/

In the review, it's clearly written that GTG response time is 4ms while you can get it down to 1ms with MPRT. So, where the 5ms response time comes from that you speak about?

From MSI Gaming OSD, "Normal" = 4ms GTG, "Fastest" = 1ms MPRT, leaving "Fast" either 3ms or 2ms.
Also, i've seen it with my own eye that "Normal" setting produces visible ghosting while "Fast" setting removes any ghosting, leaving me to believe it's 2ms rather than 3ms.

clembez

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks. Forgot about the MSI Gaming OSD and will check it out. Thanks for confirming.

Ive read that review a couple times. It only mentions 4ms gtg and doesnt say if thats fast or normal setting so wasnt sure.

The 5ms I speak of is from other reviews/comments I read and said normal is 5ms and fast 4ms. However not great sources. One even said Normal was 8ms and fast 4ms. So got me curious.

Glad to hear you dont get ghosting on fast. Makes it an easy choice to just run freesync and fast instead of fastest only with bad brightness.