jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Morning!

Need a new monitor, thinking about going ultrawide. My budget is about €700, and I found these three monitors, here is a comparison link (but it doesn't show everything, like the input lag is missing from two of them) https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/comparison/42caf527c

MSI MAG341CQ - 600€ (comes with Monster Hunter World and the new expansion though!)
Asus TUF VG35VQ - 700€
Asus ROG Strix XG35VQ - 700€

Current rig:
Ryzen 5 3600
RTX 2070 Super AORUS
16GB DDR4

Current monitor which I'm using until I get a new one: Acer GN246HL (24" TN 144Hz, 1ms)
Though I've been using my monitor at 60Hz for a while now because the 2070 Super doesn't support DVI. And honestly, when people say they can't go back to 60 from 144, I actually don't mind it all that much. So therefore, a 100Hz ultrawide would be a-okay. More the merrier to be future proof (if it fits my budget), but my plan is to keep my setup and the monitor for 3-5 years, if possible. Could also overclock but since it decreases the lifespan, IDK.

One thing I dislike when using a 60Hz screen is the screen tearing. Hardly ever experienced it at 144Hz. So, a G-Sync or -compatible monitor is ideal.

Thoughts, input?

Thanks and have a good day!

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
I'd pick either one and make sure it has the connectivity that you need from the GPU. Also, the Asus monitors are an 1" more in diagonal.
Cheers.

I'll be using Display Port and they all support it. I guess my biggest concerns are ghosting, input lag and G-Sync.

All three are VA and I know they ghost a lot more than TN. My current one is 1ms and I'm sure both Asus monitors would be just fine, but what about the MAG? It's response time is 8ms, is it huge if compared to a 1ms?

Input lags are alright on the Asus models too, from 6 to 8ms. I think they would be ok since my GN246HL at 60Hz is supposed to be 10ms, and at 144Hz like 7ms. But the MSI MAG is 15ms! Now that I think about it, perhaps I should remove that one from the list then.

And compatibility with G-Sync cards. This one I'm not sure about. I saw a lot of positive and negative comments about this on all three monitors. I guess this is my true main concern. With my setup I should be able to hit 70-100fps, but a working sync technology with minimal issues (or none at all) would be very, very appreciated.

I guess if someone has experience with either Asus monitor, speak up and let me know how they do with NVIDIA cards!

Thankyou and have a good one!

jackington

Commendable
Dec 18, 2017
Not sure if I was blind, but both Asus product pages say:
"Supports both Adaptive-Sync with NVIDIA GeForce* graphics cards and FreeSync with AMD Radeon graphics cards *Compatible with NVIDIA GeForce GTX 10 series, GTX 16 series, RTX 20 series and newer graphics cards "

So I guess I'm good with either one? Looks like it's down to looks and dimensions then. They are pretty much, very similar in specs. Only real differences I found are:
  1. VG has HDR10 which doesn't matter to me one bit, so whatever
  2. VG's page says: "Adaptive-Sync supported :Yes" while the XG says: "FreeSync™ technology supported". Does it matter which one I pick then?

Also, the XG35VQ is from 2017 but the VG35VQ is from 2019 if I'm correct. I feel like going with the newer version, VG, would be wiser, right? Too bad there are barely any reviews on it, especially regarding G-Sync...