Question Main and second SSD, Virus hopping SSD questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 3, 2019
I want to download sofware, potential virus / mallware: If i download on a seperate SSD from the main SDD where windows is installed, can i prevent a virus from hopping over to the main SSD or altering anything on the main SSD (Extra protection measure to prevent nasty bitlocker virus for example)

This is so i can fully install the program, and use for a while to know for sure that there is no virus or mall ware becouse of what i installed on the second disk, without infection risk to the primary drive.

USAFRet

Titan
No.
Any storage device in or connected to a system is vulnerable.

The way analysts do this is with a complete separate system. Airgapped.

With the large availability of free or low cost software, why would you need to worry about downloading something malicious?

Reactions: Tobhyas
Nov 3, 2019
No.
Any storage device in or connected to a system is vulnerable.

The way analysts do this is with a complete separate system. Airgapped.

With the large availability of free or low cost software, why would you need to worry about downloading something malicious?

If i where to test a crack to a software, the crack would be detected as a virus or malware, wheter virus or malware or not. and i need to test the software, thats why.
Does the second drive add a little extra protection or not, and is there another method to add protection to the first drive, like putting bitlocker on and write restriction from second drive to first drive? (or whatever)

USAFRet

Titan
If i where to test a crack to a software, the crack would be detected as a virus or malware, wheter virus or malware or not. and i need to test the software, thats why.
Does the second drive add a little extra protection or not, and is there another method to add protection to the first drive, like putting bitlocker on and write restriction from second drive to first drive? (or whatever)
If you're downloading and testing cracked software to see it if is OK or 'safe' to use, this conversation is over.
If you are writing your own cracks for non-FOSS applications, this conversation is likewise over.

If you feel this has been closed in error, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.