[SOLVED] Main monitor loses signal for a few seconds after turning second monitor off and on

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014
Whenever i turn off my second monitor and on while my pc is on, my primary monitor loses signal for a few seconds and then comes back on, it also makes the device disconnecting noise as it turns off, i have both running on display port in an rtx 2080 super, i was wondering if theres an issue or if there is a fix, thanks in advance.

Solution
No fix that I am aware of.
When you turn the monitor off, the systems goes "I dont have a 2nd monitor anymore" and starts to put everything on your other monitor instead if having it sit where you cant see it.

Well a 'fix' might be to use DVi instead, if that's an option. My monitors work fine with DVI but with DP they do this

popatim

Titan
When you turn the monitor off, the systems goes "I dont have a 2nd monitor anymore" and starts to put everything on your other monitor instead if having it sit where you cant see it.

Well a 'fix' might be to use DVi instead, if that's an option. My monitors work fine with DVI but with DP they do this

Reactions: Masonic
Solution

Masonic

Honorable
Nov 22, 2014

okay thanks i was just wondering if its something that happens when you use displayport, i used to run DVI on my old rig and it never did it, I was just curious.

popatim

Titan
Yeah, afaik, people would end up with open apps on the non-existant 2nd screen that they couldn't interact with or get moved to the working screen so the drivers now do this instead. I would love to have it be an on/off feature in the driver since i like to turn off my 2nd screen when I don't have anything on it that i need to see but also don't want to close the webpages/stuff that's on it.