[SOLVED] Main windows installation crashed

Mar 4, 2022
Hello everyone, bear with me here!
I have a razor blade 15 2022 advanced model, and last night, I was encrypting a usb drive that had some rather, ahem, sensitive images on it, and I left my laptop to encrypt while I worked on my main computer. The screen shut off on a timer, and I tried waking it up using the spacebar, and then the power button. The LED's turned on, but the screen didn't. That was really odd to me to begin with, but I decided to force a restart. Drive still plugged in, I tried rebooting...nothing. Stuck at the windows loading screen. I shut the system down, plugged in to power, removed the drive, and tried again. It took an insanely long time(~5), but it did finally boot. I tried plugging in the drive again, to no avail. File explorer crashed so I decided to do another restart, but I didn't force it. Then I didn't get anything with or without the external drive plugged in. I shut the system down around 10 times, and once it said "starting automatic repair", then kicked me to UEFI settings. As of now it just stays at the windows loading screen. I couldn't care less about the files on the drive (I made backups), but I must admit I'm quite concerned about my hardware. I've tried creating windows installation media on a seperate drive and repairing windows. That also didn't work, but there is a setting to use command line to repair as well. Another thing is my main 1TB ssd that has my installation on it is not showing up as a bootable device. I'm going to try to reinstall windows with the separate bootable usb I made. If that doesn't work, I'm going to remove the damaged drive and completely wipe it using my desktop. Apologies for the mouthful! I've never heard of anything like this before, and I hope there is a resolution. In the end, if I can't find any way to fix it. I do have a warranty on the laptop, as it is around a month and a half old. Again, apologies for the word dump here, and thank you so much in advance for reading and replying!

edit: Another important thing to note is that I was using Bitlocker to encrypt the original external drive ( I've since destroyed it).

Cheers,
hyrus12

Last edited:
Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

...I've never heard of anything like this before,
...razor blade 15 2022

Razer gear tends to do some really odd things.

I doubt you're going to make much progress with a repair of the OS. If you have nothing important on the SSD, perform a clean install, provided you've recreated the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see if your boot drive and other storage drives(with the external drive disconnected)shows up there?

Lutfij

Titan

...razor blade 15 2022

I doubt you're going to make much progress with a repair of the OS. If you have nothing important on the SSD, perform a clean install, provided you've recreated the bootable USB installer using Windows Media Creation Tools.

If you're able to get into BIOS, can you check and see if your boot drive and other storage drives(with the external drive disconnected)shows up there?

Solution
Mar 4, 2022

...razor blade 15 2022

Hello!

First off, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to my post. As expected, the repair did nothing. All I have on the boot ssd are some school files and games, but of course any important files are backed up to the cloud and downloaded on my desktop. BIOS is accessible and, yes, my main ssd and storage ssd both show up as connected. Only problem is the boot drive is not actually bootable... Not at home currently so I'm using my mac's terminal to burn the windows ISO to my usb. I'll perform a clean install of windows and let you know how it goes. Thankfully if that doesn't work, the razer laptops are easy to crack open, so I can remove the drive and wipe it on my desktop using windows' drive manager.

edit: I was able to get into the razer recovery software baked into the BIOS, It worked!! It automatically opened a command line and ran a few things. it restarted and I'm in windows!! Thanks so much for your response with this.

Have a great day,
hyrus12

Last edited:
Reactions: Blackink