Oediepus

Prominent
Jan 18, 2020
Hello everyone,

I just got a new Mainboard ram and CPU.
Mainboard is the Gigabyte B450 DS3H V2
Ram is Kingston 2666 Mhz 8gb
and CPU is Ryzen 3 1200

I put everything together but the system wont start. Not even the fan from the power adapter

I tried the poweradapter by connecting the green and black kabel from those 24? pins not sure what they are called. The ones that connect power to the mainboard. The fan did start then. So i dont think its a power problem.
Power adapter is corsair vs550

I tested with just CPU and Ram. It should start without grafic card right? Also disconnected all the drives and fans since I wanted to test with the bare minimum.
Should I test with some of these plugged in? Or am I right that these cant be the issue if it doesnt even start without them.

The pins with Power SW, Reset sw etc. are pinned in as told on the gigabyte website. I also tred to start it without the case buttons by using a screwdriver on the 2 power pins.

The mainboard has only 3 screws since the other holes didnt work with the case, but i put a plastic thingy on the 4th side so it cant bent much.

Cant really test with a different mainboard since my old one doesnt support the new CPU or Ram (Gigabyte MA770 UD3P)

What else is there I can check or can I be sure that it is the mainboard?

I hope you can help me and tell me if I use wrong name for certain parts.

Thanks in advance

Solution
Im pretty sure I checked everything in the post already. I tried with GPU and Monitor aswell but I think the pc should do soething even with just CPU and Ram plugged in. The fan doesnt even start spinning, except when I tested just the PSU.
Remove CPU, RAM, GPU and drives that are connected to SATA power connectors. Connect the 8 pin CPU power connector from PSU and 24 pin power connector from PSU and connect chassis fans to the fan headers. Try to turn it on. It won't work, of course, but it should at least try to turn on fans and light LED lights.

If that works, then add the CPU, then the RAM, then the GPU. Where it stops, that's probably the culprit, but not necessarily...it could be PSU still.

If it doesn't work then...
Hello everyone,

I just got a new Mainboard ram and CPU.
Mainboard is the Gigabyte B450 DS3H V2
Ram is Kingston 2666 Mhz 8gb
and CPU is Ryzen 3 1200

I put everything together but the system wont start. Not even the fan from the power adapter

I tried the poweradapter by connecting the green and black kabel from those 24? pins not sure what they are called. The ones that connect power to the mainboard. The fan did start then. So i dont think its a power problem.
Power adapter is corsair vs550

I tested with just CPU and Ram. It should start without grafic card right? Also disconnected all the drives and fans since I wanted to test with the bare minimum.
Should I test with some of these plugged in? Or am I right that these cant be the issue if it doesnt even start without them.

The pins with Power SW, Reset sw etc. are pinned in as told on the gigabyte website. I also tred to start it without the case buttons by using a screwdriver on the 2 power pins.

The mainboard has only 3 screws since the other holes didnt work with the case, but i put a plastic thingy on the 4th side so it cant bent much.

Cant really test with a different mainboard since my old one doesnt support the new CPU or Ram (Gigabyte MA770 UD3P)

What else is there I can check or can I be sure that it is the mainboard?

I hope you can help me and tell me if I use wrong name for certain parts.

Thanks in advance
Run down the checklist and troubleshooting ideas in this post.

One item probably not covered: make certain your monitor is connected to an output on your discrete GPU. You'll need a discrete GPU since a Ryzen 1200 is CPU only with no iGPU.

Oediepus

Prominent
Jan 18, 2020
Im pretty sure I checked everything in the post already. I tried with GPU and Monitor aswell but I think the pc should do soething even with just CPU and Ram plugged in. The fan doesnt even start spinning, except when I tested just the PSU.

Remove CPU, RAM, GPU and drives that are connected to SATA power connectors. Connect the 8 pin CPU power connector from PSU and 24 pin power connector from PSU and connect chassis fans to the fan headers. Try to turn it on. It won't work, of course, but it should at least try to turn on fans and light LED lights.

If that works, then add the CPU, then the RAM, then the GPU. Where it stops, that's probably the culprit, but not necessarily...it could be PSU still.

If it doesn't work then either PSU or motherboard is bad. I'd bet on the PSU: what brand/model/spec/age? It might turn on fans when there's no heavy load attached so it might stop working when something like like CPU, GPU or both is installed.

EDIT: I see...it's a VS550 PSU. Not a very good example but should power a low-spec system like this well enough. Still... is it older or brand new along with motherboard/cpu/ram?

Last edited:
Solution

Oediepus

Prominent
Jan 18, 2020
I had to wait a week till I got a different board to test. The other Board (same Model) now kinda works. When i start it, the fans start spinning but stop again then start spinning again then they turn off again and again... The case and the mainboard both blink in like 1s intervals. First I thought the power might be not enough but even with just CPU and RAM and nothing else this happens.

I had to wait a week till I got a different board to test. The other Board (same Model) now kinda works. When i start it, the fans start spinning but stop again then start spinning again then they turn off again and again... The case and the mainboard both blink in like 1s intervals. First I thought the power might be not enough but even with just CPU and RAM and nothing else this happens.
It's a new board so be sure to do a CMOS reset. I'd do it with a battery pull: take out the coin cell for a half hour or so, then short the pins and reassemble it.

Oediepus

Prominent
Jan 18, 2020
Okay I will try that again. Only left it out for like 5 mins. I will wait longer just to make sure. The PSU works fine on its own and doesnt stutter.

Edit: I kept the battery out for 12h and tried again right now still the same problem.
not quite sure what I will try next.

Last edited:

Oediepus

Prominent
Jan 18, 2020
I did test the setup with a new PSU now. Its still the same Issue. the CPU fan starts spinning and then goes off and on every secound. I have just CPU, Mainboard and RAM connected (and PSU). Ram is in the correct slot (DDR4_1) only connections on the mainboard are the cpu fan, the 24 pins from PSU to mainboard and the 8 Pins from PSU to mainboard for the CPU.

Any Ideas? is there a way to test weather its a CPU? I cant test either CPU or mainboard since my old ones dont have the same/right socket...