Question Mainboard PCI_E1 (x16) slot issue?

Jun 9, 2022
Hello,

I've built a PC for my good buddy as a birthday gift without his knowledge. Every component was bought new, but not the GPU. It's my old GTX 1080 Palit GameRock Premium Edition in a good condition.
Specs:
  • MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600
  • 16 GB G. Skill DDR 4-3200mhz
  • GTX 1080 Palit GameRock Premium Edition
  • 1 TB Kingston NV1 M.2
  • be quiet! Dark Rock Slim
  • be quiet! 500W Pure Power 11 CM +80 Gold
  • Sharkoon TK4 RGB
I installed everything and updated the BIOS and all the other drivers. At first everything worked fine, but after some days the GPU got a low usage, which caused freezes while gaming. If we tried to boot it up, the EZ Debug LED was at first white at "CPU" and then "VGA". So it didn't boot at all.

We switched to the other available PCI (x8) and it worked, but the temps and the power was less because of the second slot. Afterwards, we switched it back to the first slot, and it worked...till it froze again.

Furthermore, we even tried to change the PCI (x16) slot in Gen3 in the BIOS, but it didn't help either, so we reset it via CMOS. And now, I'm sitting here and thinking, if the MB, the CPU or even the GPU is broken...

Would appreciate every help I can get. Thanks!

And now, I'm sitting here and thinking, if the MB, the CPU or even the GPU is broken...
Would appreciate every help I can get. Thanks!
Downclock graphics card to nvidia reference clocks. The card is significantly overclocked.
Either factory overclock is too aggressive, not enough cooling or psu can't handle it in OC mode.
Clocks on your card - base/boost:
1746Mhz/1885Mhz
Nvidia reference clocks for GTX 1080 base/boost:
1607hz/1733Mhz

Reactions: ErtZu
gpu freezing sounds like power delivery issue
1885mhz on 1080 is mild overclock, those cards can handle 2.1GHz
power delivery from GPU is set to 200-240watts which is in line to 6+8pin, no issue with vbios either

500watt PSU is on low side, gpu can spike to twice its power output in small burst under heavy load, but its still minimum recommended PSU...but...
now on quick look at your PSU, it uses multirail (two separate 12V rails) one for CPU (28A)
and one for GPU (32A)
32A might be low if GPU spikes past that, i myself woulndt go below 40A gpu rail for power hungry GPU and evga psu calculator offers for your system 41.6A minimum PSUs (12v single rail) with stock reference 1080

Last edited:
Reactions: ErtZu
Jun 9, 2022
Hello guys,

thanks for the tips. I've got a solution. I used DDU, updated the Chipset from AMD and did a new BIOS (beta) update and now everything runs perfect. Thanks again for the help!!!