[SOLVED] Mainboard recommendations for 5600x?

Bartfratze

Commendable
Nov 11, 2020
Hi, i recently bought a Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro for my new 5600x. To my dismay i had to RMA it because of incredibly loud coil whine, only to receive a replacement which not only has the exact same coil whine but also those pesky USB problems Gigabyte is known for currently.
Anyone have any recommendations for MBs?

My only criteria are:
  1. It needs to be B550 unless it is an X570 with good cooling
  2. No Asus (had some bad experiences with them in the past)
  3. Really want more than 6 rear USB ports
  4. A good BIOS doesn't hurt either
I'm not averse to Gigabyte, though should i buy another Gigabyte board and receive one with coil whine this might change

Solution
I can talk about B550 M Steel legend as it's the one I'm running my 12 core, the motherboard is great for the price, has the 6 USB rear ports you need, the bios is super easy to use and very complete, in all, the mobo has been running rock solid, overclocked all the time for months.
I can talk about B550 M Steel legend as it's the one I'm running my 12 core, the motherboard is great for the price, has the 6 USB rear ports you need, the bios is super easy to use and very complete, in all, the mobo has been running rock solid, overclocked all the time for months.

Solution

g-unit1111

Titan
I can't understand why coil whine would be found on a motherboard, usually that's a feature that's attributed to fans.

But that said, the MSI is a good choice. I'd also recommend the Asus Strix B550-F. I have the B450-F and it is a very excellent motherboard.

Bartfratze

Commendable
Nov 11, 2020
I can't understand why coil whine would be found on a motherboard, usually that's a feature that's attributed to fans.
Yeah, that's what i thought was the cause at first but after manually stopping every single fan in my PC one by one i realized that the whine comes from one of the capacitors. I have no idea how this can happen but it can be louder than any fan i ever had if i fire up Total War or something else demanding.

Thanks for the recommendations. I think i will go for the ASRock Steel Legend, the normal ATX variant though. I wanted to try a X570 chipset MB, for future proofing, but all i ever read is complaints about noisy fans and/or high chipset temps. I already have a 2070 Super that, for some reason, aways stays around the 45°C mark and it would blow the hot air onto the chipset.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Coil whine usually is a sign of too weak power supply.

ASRock Steel Legend usually are good value boards. If you use only Ethernet cable connection, B550M Steel Legend is just fine. It is possible to use 1 PCIe 4.0 NVMe drive too so in future RTX_IO + DirectStorage is an option.

X570 was one of options when I upgraded a month ago. But seriously disliked the presence of tiny chipset fan. B550 don't have it - one less thing to broke and absence of whining below table in quiet evenings.