[SOLVED] Mainboards...

Oct 22, 2019
Hello!

I will be building a completely new pc in the next months (waiting for 5800\5900xt or Ampere and maybe ryzen 4000\intel 10.gen).

I am pretty experienced regarding CPUs, GPUs, RAM and PSUs.

What troubles me are MAINBOARDS these days.

I am interested only in the best possible overclocking board (I dont really need rgb, wifi, pcie 4, not even m.2) . But just looking at photos of each board to see how many Mosfets\VRMs it has is a waste of time these days because so many have fake capacitors or ''doublers'' or if the number is ok they are just plain bad quality ones etc.

Even the successor of my amazing ROG Asus board is trash ( View: https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/9u5rcv/buildzoid_vrm_explained_on_asus_maximus_xi_hero/
)

Do you guys know of a website\forum that is specialized in MOBOs ? Like https://www.jonnyguru.com/ is for PSU's, only for Mobo's.

I dont want to ask here every time I have a question(you guys have lives too) regarding each and every MOBO (for intel or amd) I am considering.

Thank you for your time and reading my post (I know my way of writing is hard to read).

Solution
Aside from buildzoid, which you already know about, not much on motherboard reviews. Since Z97 there hasn't been a lot to talk about. They all pretty much just worked. AMD has some new wrinkles thrown in like chipset thermals with PCIe 4.0, but, the need really isn't there yet. Just another potential failure point. And with Ryzen overclocking, well, not that relevant, it just hasn't reached a lot of media attention.

High end boards tend to have high end designs for the most part. Hard to find objective reviews on just the VRM performance though, or real world overclocking round-ups. (Been a long while since I have seen one of those) Most of the reviews still focus on features.

Hero boards were always the 'cheap' ROG boards, but still...
Unfortunately, the thrustworthyness of each motherboard model is very difficult to figure out.

You could of course have a look at the forums to see if you can map up all threads that is positive for a malfunctional motherboard. Unfortunately, most posts does not have a definite conclusion (i.e. you cannot know if there was another component that was actually malfunctioning) simply because many OP's never follows up or never get to know themselfs.

Maybe we some day can use AI to scan online forums to try to put on an analyse on what kind of problem each MB model is prone to. Even so, there are the marked share too - any MB model may be mentioned more times because it sell much more, rather than being less thrustworthy.

Reactions: techNewUsername

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Aside from buildzoid, which you already know about, not much on motherboard reviews. Since Z97 there hasn't been a lot to talk about. They all pretty much just worked. AMD has some new wrinkles thrown in like chipset thermals with PCIe 4.0, but, the need really isn't there yet. Just another potential failure point. And with Ryzen overclocking, well, not that relevant, it just hasn't reached a lot of media attention.

High end boards tend to have high end designs for the most part. Hard to find objective reviews on just the VRM performance though, or real world overclocking round-ups. (Been a long while since I have seen one of those) Most of the reviews still focus on features.

Hero boards were always the 'cheap' ROG boards, but still adequate for running high end processors with an overclock. I guess the complaint this time is expensive components in a somewhat poor layout, resulting in an inferior VRM?

To get the most out of a system you should look at the ASUS ROG Extreme series. I hear good things about the Gaming 7 and 9 series from Gigabyte. EVGA Dark boards usually get some attention. Haven't really seen anything on MSI or ASRock this go around. (Using a Z270 Gaming 5 from Gigabyte now, running a 7700k at 5.0, so I have some confidence in recommending Gigabyte)

Obviously no one can speak to LGA1200 or Ryzen 4th gen boards. I would say pick out your X570 board and hope it will support the next AMD release, though nothing wrong with the 3000 series. Z390 is already effectively dead.

HEDT has some interesting options. Intel's recent 10th gen chips are a least more reasonably priced. I hear rumors of X499 boards for the latest Threadrippers though, maybe X399 will support it, maybe not. Then you have to ask yourself if you need high core count chips.

16 cores on Ryzen in November. Probably 10 cores from Intel with LGA1200 in 2020. Can expect some pretty beefy VRMs from Intel on that one. X570 boards are already pretty well built. Interesting to see the B550 boards, though I usually just recommend the ones that bother to put heat sinks on at all.

I think the big question is who is going to jump onto to DDR5 first if you are looking forward.

Reactions: techNewUsername
Solution
Oct 22, 2019
thx . for your response.. I am running the 4790k at 5.0 ghz (1.181v) right now on this amazing ROG board.
yes, i am aiming for 12 cores or more since my next upgrade after this will be 2025 at the soonest. Intel even with 8 cores 16 threads would need good Vrms for high overclock (beyond 5ghz) and Amd just because of so many cores (even for a 200mhz oc). I expect to run an OC like I do now , stable for many years without the mobo failing. I always change mobo and cpu together since using a new cpu on a half dead mobo or a 5yo oc cpu on a new mobo (expecting to last another 5 years) is bullshit. So I dont even care if ryzen 4000 will be last series for am4. Neither Do I care for ddr5 since i also bought my current ddr3 system when ddr4 was appearing. .. so I got used to being 1 gen. ram behind ;-). A ddr4 in the 3200-3600mhz range that I am planing to get should still be usable till 2025. and pcie 5.0 is bullshit. Not even rtx 3080TI will saturate pcie 4.0 and I am not getting that (probably 3070 or 3080 non ti).

Hero boards were always the 'cheap' ROG boards, but still adequate for running high end processors with an overclock. I guess the complaint this time is expensive components in a somewhat poor layout, resulting in an inferior VRM?

To get the most out of a system you should look at the ASUS ROG Extreme series. I hear good things about the Gaming 7 and 9 series from Gigabyte. EVGA Dark boards usually get some attention. Haven't really seen anything on MSI or ASRock this go around. (Using a Z270 Gaming 5 from Gigabyte now, running a 7700k at 5.0, so I have some confidence in recommending Gigabyte)

Obviously no one can speak to LGA1200 or Ryzen 4th gen boards. I would say pick out your X570 board and hope it will support the next AMD release, though nothing wrong with the 3000 series. Z390 is already effectively dead.

HEDT has some interesting options. Intel's recent 10th gen chips are a least more reasonably priced. I hear rumors of X499 boards for the latest Threadrippers though, maybe X399 will support it, maybe not. Then you have to ask yourself if you need high core count chips.

16 cores on Ryzen in November. Probably 10 cores from Intel with LGA1200 in 2020. Can expect some pretty beefy VRMs from Intel on that one. X570 boards are already pretty well built. Interesting to see the B550 boards, though I usually just recommend the ones that bother to put heat sinks on at all.

I think the big question is who is going to jump onto to DDR5 first if you are looking forward.

Oct 22, 2019
unfortunately you are right .. thanks !
Unfortunately, the thrustworthyness of each motherboard model is very difficult to figure out.

You could of course have a look at the forums to see if you can map up all threads that is positive for a malfunctional motherboard. Unfortunately, most posts does not have a definite conclusion (i.e. you cannot know if there was another component that was actually malfunctioning) simply because many OP's never follows up or never get to know themselfs.

Maybe we some day can use AI to scan online forums to try to put on an analyse on what kind of problem each MB model is prone to. Even so, there are the marked share too - any MB model may be mentioned more times because it sell much more, rather than being less thrustworthy.