Maingear Eyes DIY Builders By Selling Standalone PC Cases

Status
Not open for further replies.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
there's certainly a market for this. plenty of rich folks who can throw money to the side like this. surprised they don't have an "all gold" option. X'D

Commissariat

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Are they really trying to sell Corsair and Silverstone Tek cases at a premium as "Maingear" cases just because of a nice paintjob and some light modding (branding)?
And, more importantly, why didn't Tom's Hardware inform its readers that these are all computer cases that can be bought for less money (albeit in more minimalistic finishes) from their respective OEMs (Corsair and Silverstone Tek mostly)?

Not shy about their prices even with the 'diy' route. "There's even a light strip that can be changed by remote control ($74.99)." Something tells me it's the same or similar to the 16ft 5050 rgb+w available with power supply, converter and remote on amazon for $28. I could see it if it was a little more expensive, maybe $35-38 but hate when companies pretend to be supporting the diy'er while gouging them and hoping they're ill informed.

Bondfc11

Honorable
Sep 3, 2013
Agree with all of the above comments - just too much for simple, minor mods to existing cases. I love the line that an automotive finish inside and out will cost you $500. REALLY?!?!? $500 to paint a case??? That's just stupid. I think most modders are smart enough not to buy these crappy knock offs with the insane price gouging. Hell, you could buy your own paint gun, booth, and all the supplies you need to spray this case and anything else in the future for less than they want for an external/internal paint job. Silliness all over this article.

$500 for a painted case with a huge logo on it??? Screw that. Just buy a corsair or other respectable case with their logo on it.

Fact is, most PC gamers who build their own PC's would rather have no logo and use decals which come with things they buy. So it's known they built their own PC. My case has a nice Magpul logo on it :)

friskiest

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
If someone GAVE me $10,000 to spend on just a system unit, I might just snatch the shift case and pimp it up with all the customization available.

But for 99.99% of DIY'ers, heck, even the "elites" and "enthusiasts",. Seriously, its just boggles me when they say its aimed for the DIY'ers - it doesn't even compute. $500 for the stock case, $750 for a fancy paintjob and 75 bucks for remote lighting,.. just NO.

I could do the painting myself (albeit at a lower quality), customize it to my heart's desire, save several $100s in doing so and spend it on something else,.. and here's the things,. be proud about to say "all DIY".

maingear

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
Hey Guys, I'm with MAINGEAR, and just wanted to clarify a few things. We wanted to offer our exclusive chassis's like the SHIFT to the DIY community, and decided to at the same time offer some off the shelf chassis's with the same customization we offer our customers. These customizations includes our award winning automotive paint finishes. We actually have a real automotive down draft spray booth on site, and staff with 30 years individual experience in painting the world’s super cars and hot rods. We can paint them in any color, and can even do customer branding/logos as well.

Commissariat

Reputable
Apr 23, 2015
@maingear: I don't really have anything against what you as a company are doing (except, perhaps, not making it clear that these are not all original/exclusive cases). My issue is mainly with Tom's Hardware, a enthusiast tech journalism site, failing to report accurately on the availability of these cases elsewhere in the market and for portraying the (certainly valuable) services you offer as directed towards DIY enthusiasts, which are a completely different kind of customer than the ones you are targeting.

You're catering to the 1% with money to literally burn. You should do an assembly line with a few popular colors and simply just paint panels in bulk. Assemble them to order onto the main chassis and charge half as much. If you charged $200-$250 per painted case, i can see you selling in very high volume. People wouldn't give you guys so much crap about the price.

If I read that correctly, it was $400 ($399) EXTRA for the exterior paintjob and another $299 on top of THAT for the interior? $700 in paint, on a case? That better have 2 primer coats, 6 layers of base paint, 3 layers of candy apple over top of that and about 12 coats of clear for a 'deep' effect. That's ridiculous. Even with a 'real' automotive paint booth. I can take my case to any number of local 'real' automotive paint shops and get any color I want even if I had to buy the paint and they had to crack open a brand new can of custom paint @$150, with labor for less than half of that $700. It's not just a 'little' higher, it's ripping people off. Not cool. You can bet for $700 for a case paint job, as a customer I'd break out a magnifying glass and it better be perfect - not one single spot of orange peeling or it'd be going back. I'm talking tiffany's perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.