Maingear Goes Green With R1 Razer Edtion Custom PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

When it comes to VR. I would hardly say you are paying for a name. I doubt any AMD CPU could keep up with the VR requirement of nonstop 90FPS for a immersive experience.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

...Yet I play Vive VR games on my 6 year old Phenom II X4 945 Deneb CPU, at stock speed no less.. The GPU is THE most important. Obviously I could get a little more performance with a newer CPU, but people focus way too much on CPU for VR.

That is my humble opinion and my personal experience using the Vive with around 20 room-scale games at home. (I picked up a "1 x SAPPHIRE NITRO Radeon R9 Fury 100379NTOCSR 4GB 4096-Bit HBM PCI Express 3.0 x16 TRI-X OC (UEFI) Video Card" on sale for $299(!), but otherwise my system is completely unremarkable.)

Decends

Respectable
Jul 3, 2016

I'm curious to how well your system would do in the steam VR test. If memory serves, doesn't the phenom II line perform better than the FX line. Could of sworn that was one of biggest criticisms of the FX line that it was slower then Phenom II despite the smaller node on FX.

WFang

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014

I forget the exact score (and I'm at work so I can't re-run it) but the bar was fully green and it said something along the line that my system is ready for a high-end experience or something like that. I've not noticed any issues (once I got the lighthouse alignment down pat) except after playing Space Pirates for a long time, it got super laggy, I quit the game and re-launched and it was back to butter smooth. That said, I do occasionally see a red frame on the status bar thingy on one of the Steam menus, so I am clearly falling under 90Hz on sporadic rare occasions, I just have not had it noticeably impact my experiences so far! :)

As far as FX vs Phenom II, I can't comment really, it's been soooo long... All I know is that people seem to over-emphasize the CPU in VR discussions. :)

JakeWearingKhakis

Commendable
Apr 5, 2016
My FX-8350 4.5ghz moderate OC, has not given me any trouble for the past 2 years I've had it. In fact, I'm still impressed with it's ability to keep up, and excel with anything I want it to, paired with a single Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X.

I heavily game and Stream with no issues at all. Can't speak for VR though, as I am waiting for a while to jump into that. So fundamentally, I contributed nothing to the argument. I don't think AMD has any CPUs that beat it's high end (although outdated architecture) FX line until Zen shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.