Question Maintain constant cpu frequency

Jan 11, 2023
Hi all, many thanks for any assistance
I have a AORUS MASTER x570 and Ryzen 5950x processor. I want to maintain a constant cpu frequency in all utilization levels
E.g when I have 3% utilization I still want a constant 3ghz freq level with no drops.

So far have tried

Power options in windows set to full
Bios options global c states off, p state0 on
All other power saving throttling settings off
That I know of.

Is there anything iam missing? Also to note iam not reaching thermal throttling levels

The reason I need this is because whilst playing windows 98 games on emulators like pcem I get stuttering coinciding with the frequency levels changing due to varying loads of the emulator and game

Many thanks in advance

The easiest way to set a constant frequency is to go into BIOS and set the multiplier value to something. This will cause the CPU to run at 100 * multiplier speed at all times.

Alternatively you can tell the OS to not boost the CPU by open up PowerShell as an Administrator and input the following: powercfg -attributes sub_processor perfboostmode -attrib_hide

Then go to Control Panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Power Options and go into the advanced options for a power plan. You should see this:
lQTEe8Z.png

Set it to "Disabled"

Jan 11, 2023
hi, many thanks for your quick reply. Unfortunately both methods did not work. When i open ryzen master and look at the current clock speed it changes constantly between 200mhz -1300mhz max is set to 2000mhz as in bios cpu freq and multiplier. is there a combination of setting to make it work maybe?

Jan 11, 2023
It slipped my mind that you have 5950X. Another issue is the programs you run aren't happy if their threads get put onto another CCX. You may have to lock the affinity of the application to one half or the other.
Hi, again many thanks, but i shut down one of my CCX in bios so only 1 is running but didnt help with stuttering, as freq continues to change, cheers

You could try updating/reinstalling the graphics card drivers and motherboard drivers. Otherwise if you want to poke at the CPU multiplier option again, it's in Tweaker -> CPU Clock Ratio. You don't need to set anything else.

Otherwise other things I can think of would involve, if there's nothing else obviously wrong with the hardware (like overheating, one of the settings like RAM speed isn't right, etc), is starting with fresh, Windows install with the bare minimum things to check if the game still has problems.

Ryzen more or less ignores the windows power plans in regards to min/max clock speed. I'm fairly certain you can do this with Ryzen Master. I'm unable to check for you as I have an X3D and all the clock speed/overclock features are locked out. In ye olde days you could do this in BIOS by disabling Cool n Quiet but either it's also gone because of the X3D or it's no longer a feature accessible in there. It used to be under CPU Features or something like that on older AM4 boards.

Jan 11, 2023
You could try updating/reinstalling the graphics card drivers and motherboard drivers. Otherwise if you want to poke at the CPU multiplier option again, it's in Tweaker -> CPU Clock Ratio. You don't need to set anything else.

Otherwise other things I can think of would involve, if there's nothing else obviously wrong with the hardware (like overheating, one of the settings like RAM speed isn't right, etc), is starting with fresh, Windows install with the bare minimum things to check if the game still has problems.
Hi There, thanks for the continued support. I have done a fresh install with drivers etc and still the same im affriad. I am in downs 10 64bit pro if that helps at all. I have the cpu multiplier in bios set at 20 and the frequency set at 100 which gives 2ghz , but setting the multiplier to different values etc doesn't give me a constant speed. no overheating cpu at 30deg approx idle and 70 deg ish under load withe the emulator and game throughout and all other sensors cool. when you say ram speed not right how can i check that or is that in bious where you can choose a differnet value cheers mate

Jan 11, 2023
Ryzen more or less ignores the windows power plans in regards to min/max clock speed. I'm fairly certain you can do this with Ryzen Master. I'm unable to check for you as I have an X3D and all the clock speed/overclock features are locked out. In ye olde days you could do this in BIOS by disabling Cool n Quiet but either it's also gone because of the X3D or it's no longer a feature accessible in there. It used to be under CPU Features or something like that on older AM4 boards.
many thanks for getting back to me. i have turned off cool and quite also no effect this was in bios. all ryzen master settings change the max speed but will not keep it there at a fixed value. could there be anything else? thanks for your help

Jan 11, 2023
hi guys found the issue from another page thanks all your help much appreciated

below if you are interested

How to Stop Your CPU From Making High-Pitched Noises
Recently I noticed a high-pitched noise coming from my computer. It was a pulsating noise which lasted for less than half a second and occurred every second. My first thought was that this noise was coming from one of the fans in my computer, but I found that odd because all of my fans are brand new. After finally going crazy from the annoying noise, I opened the case of my computer to try to find the source of it. I found that the noise was, surprisingly, coming from the CPU!
I don’t know how it was making the noise (do electrons scream?), but I found out why. As it turns out, the source of the problem was that the CPU was being placed into an “idle” mode by Windows. In this tutorial I will show you how to disable the idle mode of your CPU, which instantly made the noise go away for me, permanently.

TL;DR:
  • Open regedit
  • Navigate to this path:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251–82be-4824–96c1–47b60b740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0–402f-a133–2158492d58ad
  • Change Attributes from 1 to 0
  • In Windows’ Power Settings, change the advanced settings of your plan, find Processor power management -> Processor idle disable, and set it to Disable Idle. The noise should disappear after hitting OK.

In-Depth:
Step 1 — Open Regedit
This is easy enough. Make sure you’re running as an Administrator, push Windows + R on your keyboard, and type in regedit. Push Enter and regedit should open.
Step 2 — Navigate within regedit
Pay close attention to the names in this step. Now that regedit is open, you need to navigate to:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SYSTEM \ CurrentControlSet \ Control \ Power \ PowerSettings \ 54533251–82be-4824–96c1–47b60b740d00 \ 5d76a2ca-e8c0–402f-a133–2158492d58ad
Make sure to click on the name of the last key (5d76a2ca-e8c0–402f-a133–2158492d58ad) — not the arrow to the left of it. You should now be able to see a REG_DWORD value on the right side of regedit called Attributes.
Step 3 — Change Attributes Value
Right click on the Attributes value, and select Modify… Change Value Data to 0, and click OK. You can now close regedit.
Step 4 — Change Windows Power Settings
Now we need to change the power settings of Windows so that your CPU doesn’t idle. Open the run dialog again using Windows + R. This time, type powercfg.cpl and hit Enter.
Windows’ Power Options should now be open. Just follow these steps:
  • On whichever power plan is selected, click Change plan settings. If you use multiple plans, you can repeat this for each plan.
  • On the next screen, click Change advanced power settings.
  • In the window that pops up, find Processor power management, and double click on it.
  • Find Processor idle disable, and double click on it.
  • Change the Setting from Enable Idle to Disable Idle
  • Click OK and the noise should immediately stop.

I hope this worked for you! I can finally work peacefully now that this noise is gone.

TRENDING THREADS