Question Major artifacts on Monitor

Apr 3, 2020
I don't know if anyone has ever seen this before. I'm currently running a GTX 970 that was bought many years ago and don't know if this is a GPU or Monitor issue. I'm going to try and get my hands on a GTX 1080 to do some testing, but don't know when I'll be able to. Any thoughts on things I could try? I'm wondering if the GPU has hit the end of it's life span because of the fact that it's over 4 years old and HAS been overclocked. It happens in almost all games, and when watching youtube. I just used minecraft as an example becasue it's easy to load up really quickly. It's not screen tearing because it happens on some static images too.

Link to example video taken by me:
View: https://youtu.be/QJgdiWJUYMA

Edit:Excuse the loud fan, for some reason my phone made a nice quiet fan sound like a jet plane.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020
Does your CPU have a iGPU? If so then remove the 970 and connect the motherboard to the monitor and try the game again. If that issue disappears then then issue is the 970. If the issue continues then try a different cable.
Cpu is a Ryzen 2600X, so no, no apu. I'm going to try HDMI right now instead of display port. Hopefully that fixes it. Than I will know it's either the cards display port, the cable, or the monitors display port.

Apr 3, 2020
If I reset all of my monitor settings using the "Reset" feature, the issue goes away. If I then preside to set the settings back to where they were before, the issue is not present. But from past experience it comes back eventually. (Not too long)

TRENDING THREADS