Major BSOD Issues! HELP!

Ruizair13

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Hello, First time posting on this site, but I have obtained several useful pieces of information from it, so thanks to everyone who posts here! I'm going to be as detailed as I can but I have ran across a computer problem and I am at a loss:

I will start with the symptoms: My brother's laptop began having BSOD issues, basically the screen would turn colors and then BSOD out. My assumption was graphics driver, but before he could get the laptop to me, the problem got worse and eventually the machine wouldn't boot to windows. I went ahead and did a factory restore with his stock OEM disks. He is running windows 7 home btw, the restore feature went great until I got to the starting windows screen, bam BSOD with a bad_pool_header issue. Did some research, signs pointed to a bad hard drive.

Ok, no problem, replaced the hard drive and did the reinstall again. BAM BSOD at the same time, different error though now it was a System Service Exception. Did some more research and people suggested faulty ram. I memtest the ram for 30 passes, no faults. But, what the hell, i had some brand new ram left over that was the same he was running, so I swapped it out anyway. Tried the reinstall again: BAM BSOD again, this time with IRQL less than error.

Now I was getting desperate, thought maybe a corrupt BIOS? So I flashed the bios, BAM, another BSOD with the BAD Pool Header error. I then reset the cmos, BAM still another BSOD, this time IRQL error. I thought maybe the hard drive that I purchased was bad, replaced with another hard drive and still the same issues. It always rotates between those three BSOD's. Alot of forums say that its a bad driver issue, but if I'm doing a complete re install, then wouldn't those drivers be gone? Any help would be appreciated. THe laptop doesn't have any external hardware installed, just what is inside. Could the graphics card be going out? Is the MOBO fried? I'm at a loss on this one.

Also, I have tried booting into Ubuntu and Knoppix to no avail, both just trigger a restart, but I'm assuming would have triggered a BSOD if linux had such a thing.

PLEASE HELP!!!

nullifier

Honorable
Aug 8, 2012
Seems like you've done quite a bit already, but since it wasn't explicitly stated did you test the RAM slots on the motherboard? By testing I mean the process of elimination, one stick at a time in each slot, rotating sticks to see when you get the error. Multiple (at least they appear to be) unrelated BSODs almost always make me think of RAM first. If the RAM aren't bad, I would check the slots if you haven't already.

Ruizair13

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014
Well now i have another problem, the screen will not turn on at all now. I'm really starting to believe that it is the onboard graphics card, in which case the mobo would need replaced.

Ruizair13

Reputable
Dec 4, 2014

Ok, i didn't mention that I have run one stick of ram in both slots and get the same results no matter which slot they are in.