Major Desktop Problems

Sir Ignis

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Hello. I am having many problems on my custom-built desktop. Some of the problems include: reboots cycles, random reboots, automatic shutdowns, non-response to power on and random shutdowns. The specifications are:

-Processor: i7-4770K LGA1150

-Motherboard: GA-Z87X-D3H

-RAM: Kingston Technology HyperX DDR3 1600MHz CL9 8GB DIMM Memory Module (Kit of 2)

-Graphics Card: Asus Nvida Geforce GTX 660Ti DirectCU II OC Graphics Card (2GB, GDDR5, PCI Express 3.0, HDMI, DVI-I,DVI-D, Display Port, Nvidia 3D Vision Surround

-Hard Drive: Seagate 3TB 3.5 inch 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive

Hard Disk: Seasonic 750 Watts (80 Gold)

Monitor: IIYAMA E2482HS 24 inch Widescreen LED Monitor (1920 x 1080, HDMI)

Case: Cooler Master Silencio 550 USB3.0 ATX Case

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

I have changed some options in the bios, in order to suit the hardware that I have, although I am not sure if it all correct. I suspect that it is either a hardware issue or a bios error. Also, it is hard to test the components as the behavior of the computer is unpredictable, as it can reboot or shutdown at any moment.

Any help appreciated.

Solution
I suspect this is your problem "I have changed some options in the bios, in order to suit the hardware that I have"..

Go back to basics.. reset your bios and let it detect settings and go into maximum compatibility .. and see..
If it becomes stable - then don't mess (or if you do.. do it in a very structured way - so you know exactly what breaks what if instability returns)
HTH
Cheers
I suspect this is your problem "I have changed some options in the bios, in order to suit the hardware that I have"..

Go back to basics.. reset your bios and let it detect settings and go into maximum compatibility .. and see..
If it becomes stable - then don't mess (or if you do.. do it in a very structured way - so you know exactly what breaks what if instability returns)
HTH
Cheers

Solution

And if it's still not stable after that, re-seat the cpu-cooler and check the temps.

Sir Ignis

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013

My computers dead... It won't even let me power it on. It was working early today, but then it rebooted...Rebooted again...Shutdown. Then I waited re-powered, then it automatically shutdown...I waited longer re-powered, then it automatically shutdown...Now it won't even power on. Although my power supply is still working because the mouse's light is switched on.

cry0g3n

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Try using only the CPU, motherboard, one stick of RAM and hook it up to the PSU and see if it powers up. Then add HDD and connect your monitor to the built in graphics on the motherboard try if that works.

Sir Ignis

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
I have noticed something that may be causing problems, the bios version on the mobo is f5 but the cpu default version is f7...Also, the mobo is meant to be f8/f7 but for some reason when I look at the boot log the bios version appears as f5.

Well -that would be a noob mistake.. to not make sure your BOIS is at correct level for your CPU..
but it would certainly account for instability.

Cheers

Sir Ignis

Honorable
Oct 28, 2013
Thank you all for your help, but I think I have found the solution... Today I opened my PC's case, took out one of the (2x4GB Kingston) RAM sticks out and HURRAH my computer isn't rebooting, or crashing anymore.