Major Driver Issues - Need Help

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
I've been having major issues with my computer's internet randomly cutting out with a quick temporary solution being plugging out, and back in the ethernet cord. The whole issue can be found here http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2487008/internet-working-fixes.html

Well, after replacing my modem/router (same model), I've confirmed that this isn't the issue.

So, earlier today I tried to reinstall my nic drivers a second time. Though, this time I realized I was installing chipset drivers instead of LAN drivers. I messed up the orders of doing thing, and wasn't thinking. One thing led to another, and I successfully uninstalled my nic drivers, leaving me with Ethernet Controller. The issue is that when I scanned for hardware changes, my system couldn't find any drives to reinstall, and in my brilliance, I hadn't downloaded the drivers before hand. No biggy, I installed the drivers (found here http://) onto a flashdrive via another computer, and tranfered it to my main one. But I got an error saying I had the wrong bit version. The thing is, I have 64bit windows, I've tripled checked I installed the 64 bit off their website, and have tried the 32 bit as well, both to no avail.

And to think this all could have been avoided if I was smart enough to just install the drivers on my comp. when I had internet.. jeez...

I'm lost at this point and have no idea where to turn. Would simply investing in a new motherboard be the better option here? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you very much.

Quick Note: I've tried contacting their support, but their system is beyond broken.

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Awesome, thank you. Now by what means do you think I should install the drivers by? My only worry is that if I get this error again, everything would have been in vain. Thank you!

Simplest way is to just load them all on a thumb drive, then you can either copy them to your desktop or documents and install them from there, or just install them from the thumbdrive. I would recommend installing the drivers before you do you Windows updates. If you have more than one drive, uninstall all but the OS drive before you install Windows. Once you've got all of your drivers and updates installed, then install your secondary drives one at a time. It's kind of a pain, but I recommend restarting after each driver is installed, even the ones that don't give you a restart popup notice.

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015
Thanks a ton! I hadn't taken that into account, and was getting the version wrong. Issue is, I'm still getting an error upon transferring the driver. I've downloaded the file onto a mac laptop, [downloaded under Windows 7 64bit, which I definitely have, and later as 32 bit to make sure] put it on a flash drive, and opened it on the windows computer. Though, I get this error, "The version of his file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need an x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher". I just don't see why this issue is persisting, I haven't done a fresh install of windows 7, as advised by volcanoscout as I'm worried to mess up drivers further with this issue persisting. Would starting fresh with windows 7 counteract this? Thanks a ton

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Gotchya. Only issue is, I can't run the given drivers right now, and I'm a little timid about processing with a fresh slate given this. When transferring the drivers via flashdrive from a mac laptop to the windows computer, I have this error when trying to run the exe, "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's system information to see whether you need a x86 (32-bit) or x64 (64-bit) version of the program, and then contact the software publisher". I'm 100% sure I have Windows 7 64 bit, and have downloaded it as such. Furthermore, the program they have listed is compatible with 32 bit and 64 bit, meaning when I change the parameters to 32 bit, I'm getting the prompt to install the program as given with the 64 bit, (with compatibility for each listed under it's uses. I'm sorry if I'm not explaining this clearly, I guess I'm a bit confused myself. I'm just wondering if reinstalling windows 7 eliminate the error I'm getting when trying to run this? Thanks a ton for all of your help!!

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

If trying to use a driver from say the version 4 mobo ON a version 5 mobo it can cause problems, same as a newer version driver from a v5 mobo can cause problems on a 3.1 mobo - ought to verify your versions, I've run into this on a few rigs where everything looked perfect but say they had a 2.2 driver for a ver 2.1 mobo

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Yep, I confirmed my motherboard to be version 4, and installed the drivers as such

In reply, and tacking on to Tradesman1's input, I would see if you can get it straight with correct drivers first, before trying to reinstall Windows, as it may not be necessary. You can always go that route if it won't work.

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Thanks a ton for all the help, I really appreciate it. I've been at this for a while, and I can't come up with any solution for the drivers to work on the computer. I have the correct drivers on there, I just can't get them to run without getting the compatibility error I mentioned earlier. I'me 100% sure that this is the correct driver version I need, I just cannot get it working. Do you think running a similar driver, made by the same company, with the same hardware id would produce same results, or could this cause unintended damage? Is there any way that you know of that I could find a solution to this? Or, would simply getting a fresh windows 7 going be the better option, and potentially fix this whole mess? Thanks a ton for all of your help, and I have to apologize for eating up so much of your time, your help really means a lot.

Something I should have suggested before, but didn't think of it (I use images instead of Restore), is to try a System Restore. If you have a Restore point saved that dates prior to your driver adventure (and preferably prior to your internet connection issues), you can reset your system without reinstalling. It won't fix any issues you had prior, but it should get you back to a point where you can address them. To do this:

1. Type "restore" into your Windows search window.
2. Click on "Create a restore point".
3. Click on "System Restore", and then "Next".
4. On the next window, click the box that says "Show more restore points".
5. Look for a saved restore point that predates your driver issues, click on it, then "Next".
6. Click "Finish" and your PC will restart.

The Restore will be much quicker and easier (assuming it works), but I would still recommend a fresh install. Your system collects kludge over time from program installs and uninstalls, driver updates, various data and log caches, etc. Running defrag/optimization/cleaner programs clears the floor of your OS, but a lot of bits and pieces just get shoved into the closet, so to speak. A fresh install is like a full spring cleaning - depending on how long you've had the OS installed, you might be surprised at the difference in speed and performance before-and-after.

Edit: I should add that the Restore will not affect your files - it just addresses changes within the OS partition of your boot drive.

wirly

Honorable
Jan 16, 2015

Couldn't find a restore that predated the mess up, ended up just going and buying a new motherboard. Thanks a ton for all the time you put into for the help!