Major dust problem - will a humidifier short circuit my electrical equipment?

Feb 14, 2018
I have a Major dust problem - it can't be helped as my server room is in the back of my auto-body repair workshop and so we have a lot of filler dust.

I'm thinking to buy a Humidifier that circulates air in the server room through a water tank and then lets out clean air... but I'm wondering, as a humidifier produces 'wet air' will i run a risk of shorting my electrical equipment?

Solution
As long as your humidity doesn't cause condensation in the room, I think you'll be fine. But I'd look at getting a regular air filter / fan instead. I've used these in 'dirty' rooms with a lot of success.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
As long as your humidity doesn't cause condensation in the room, I think you'll be fine. But I'd look at getting a regular air filter / fan instead. I've used these in 'dirty' rooms with a lot of success.

Solution
Feb 14, 2018
Thank you, I thought that might be the case but wanted confirmation :)
I've got a regular air filter so I'll try that first. I like the water ones (humidifiers) because you can see the water get real dirty and have a great sense that it's actually doing something.

Thanks again.

No but that won't help your 'dust' problem unless you use de-mineralized water in the humidifier. Previously we lived in a desert climate where we used evaporative coolers to cool our homes; basically dousing a media with water then draw air across it to evaporate the water and then distribute it throughout the home. In addition to cooling (evaporation=phase change) by over 20 degrees it humidifies the air but it also releases a lot of the minerals and salts dissolved in the incoming water which distributes as a fine dust. It falls out all over the house. Unless you filter the air with a fine HEPA filter or use demineralized water I'd expect you to have the same problem.

Feb 14, 2018
I took all these comments on board, did a bit of research and I've decided I will be making the back office air tight. I will then cut a hole in my front plastic window and install a HEPA filter there for intake, cut a whole in the back wall for extraction and internally I will keep a small HEPA filtered air purifier. I think this will be the best solution.

Thank you all for your comments, I really appreciate it.