Question Major FPS drops RTX 2060 super

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
I'm honestly grasping at straws here looking for help to fix my FPS drops. I've uninstalled drivers and properly reinstalled using DDU. I've done a clean install of Windows 10. I've done numerous benchmarks everything telling me I don't have bottlenecks and it says my specs are running around average and well. I'm not overheating according to MSI Afterburner. I've monitored my usages in game and they don't typically go above 60% each. I've made sure to set Maximum performance in my Windows settings and my Nvidia control panel. My issues don't change that much if I lower graphic settings. If anyone could throw me some last ditch efforts that I haven't already mentioned I would greatly appreciate it. I recently changed my GPU 3 times and the problem still persists even with this $400 card. So it's not an issue of a defective GPU.

My specs are

GPU- Gigabyte RTX2060 Super 1400MHz 8GB VRAM plugged into the monitor with a display port(it's showing in DXDIAG so it's definitely plugged in)
CPU-I5-9600k running around 4.4 GHz with OC Genie(my fps was buggy before this is just something im trying to fix it with)
Coolermaster something for the CPU fan
Motherboard- MSI Z390-A Pro ATX LGA1151
RAM- dual channel 3200MHz G Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB
SSD- Samsung 370 Evo, everything is installed there.
I use a 1080p 144Hz G-Sync monitor w/display port
PSU-650 watt EVGA Gold certified power supply

My specs are pretty good, I shouldn't have any issues yet I still do, please send help I've been dealing with this for years.

I'd post my dxdiag but I'm not sure how to.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Out of the box (with 'high performance' power plan enabled), your 9600K should be pegged at 4.6GHz?
I'd remove your 'OC', load defaults in the BIOS and start from there.

Even with that however, if lowering settings doesn't change anything either way, that doesn't seem right.

How old is your OS install?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Have you updated Bios to latest version?

Are ram (if 2x 8GB) in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu? What does ram speed say in Cpuz under memory tab?

Have you monitored cpu temps and usage with Msi Afterburner while gaming?

Run Userbench test and post link to results page. It's not a totally reliable tool but can help troubleshoot somethings like cpu / ram speeds.

Barty makes a good point about the OC.

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Out of the box (with 'high performance' power plan enabled), your 9600K should be pegged at 4.6GHz?
I'd remove your 'OC', load defaults in the BIOS and start from there.

Even with that however, if lowering settings doesn't change anything either way, that doesn't seem right.

How old is your OS install?

First, I'd like to say thanks for responding. I know I posted a lot about shooting down common issues that could be quicker fixes.

Anyways, I removed the OC Genie thing i was trying to use and my CPU speed is still around 4.4GHz give or take .1 GHz under load but not quite reaching 4.5GHz. I didn't think the GHz was an issue due to the base clock being 3.7GHz.

I just did the clean install of Windows 10 today, so I'm assuming its Windows 10 1909 which was released in November of 2019 if that's what you mean.

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Have you updated Bios to latest version?

Are ram (if 2x 8GB) in 2nd and 4th slot from cpu? What does ram speed say in Cpuz under memory tab?

Have you monitored cpu temps and usage with Msi Afterburner while gaming?

Run Userbench test and post link to results page. It's not a totally reliable tool but can help troubleshoot somethings like cpu / ram speeds.

Barty makes a good point about the OC.

So I don't really understand how to update the BIOS but I do know how to check the info VIA the windows+R key/msinfo32 I'm down to try that if you'd like to let me know how.

So, my CPU Temps are around 50 degrees Celsius, my average usage is ranging around 26%-30% usage running at 4.4GHz according to MSI Afterburner. I just wanted to point out my CPU utilization fluctuates quite a bit.

My GPU is around 60 degrees Celsius and my average usage is ranging around 40% usage running around 1965 MHz with a 7000 MHz memory clock.

My RAM is in slots 2-4 running at 3200 MHz, MSI afterburner doesnt specifically tell me that but I checked in Task Manager.

For the userbenchmark I'm not sure if this was what you were asking for

UserBenchmarks: Game 95%, Desk 92%, Work 68%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K - 92.1%
GPU: Nvidia RTX 2060S (Super) - 98.7%
SSD: Samsung 860 Evo 1TB - 122.2%
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 100.9%
MBD: MSI Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98)

thank you for the reply either way, I appreciate the help.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu usage monitoring will depend which field you selected in Msi Afterburner. You might have the right one but there's a cpu field with no number, that should be the total cpu usage. Say if you've picked cpu 1 instead, that'll only show usage for the second core. Can select all cores if you want, but mainly want to see what the cpu is fairing as a whole.

Temps seem fine and usage will vary depending what's running. Apps/games vary in intensity.

Try aida64 Benchmark and monitor temps with Core temp. Core temp also shows live cpu speeds as well.

Don't worry about Userbench, i just wanted to see where the clock speeds were at from the site itself. Nevermind, try Aida instead.

Regarding Bios update, it's not overly complicated. The manual should explain the procedure. It's pretty much just downloading the latest Bios file from the motherboard's website under Bios to the root directory of a usb stick that has been Fat32 formatted. Afaik, modern motherboards still can't read ntfs formats but could be wrong. From there is just entering Bios and head over to where Mflash is and follow what it says to update. After Bios update is complete, load optimised defaults and should be all done.

Last edited:

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
Also should ask, how are you installing Nvidia driver and if you're optimising games, are you using Geforce Experience?

I recently deleted GeForce experience because someone said that it could cause issues but I could re-download it.

I install NVIDIA drivers through the website for my specific card. I haven’t tried to update the BIOS yet, but I’m having trouble finding the correct information that you’re looking for regarding the AIDA64 benchmark, is it the extreme version and what sort of information are you looking for? If it’s the extreme version I did the quick report feature for the benchmark and it gave me strange results that lead me to believe perhaps I downloaded the wrong AIDA64. Showing me weird results such as 26575 MPixels/s, 53.8na Memory Latency, 39754MB/s for Memory copy

And then either 4333.6 MHz or 4535.1 depending on which test for CPU clock. Yeah I definitely think I downloaded the wrong one.

Anyway I’ll look into the BIOS update, I’m not going to lie as someone who isn’t very tech savvy your description sounded decently complicated but I’ll do my best.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
I recently deleted GeForce experience because someone said that it could cause issues but I could re-download it.

It can over optimise games yes, adjusting settings too high. The program itself isn't an issue, it's just settings it chooses depending on the quality adjustment in the settings page, can degrade performance. If you let it optimise games prior to uninstalling it (on the new Windows install), might want to reset games quality settings to default. If you didn't use GE after reinstalling Windows, don't worry about it.

I install NVIDIA drivers through the website for my specific card.

That's correct

Anyway I’ll look into the BIOS update, I’m not going to lie as someone who isn’t very tech savvy your description sounded decently complicated but I’ll do my best.

Sorry, after doing it once, you'll find it isn't too hard.

Actually, Msi offere's a Youtube video showing how to use Mflash. I apologies, i said EzFlash earlier (corrected), that is Asus's version, Msi uses Mflash. Same thing, different name.

Link to Youtube video here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z390-A-PRO

---

Aida64 youtube vid

Rocker3k

Honorable
Jul 31, 2016
It can over optimise games yes, adjusting settings too high. The program itself isn't an issue, it's just settings it chooses depending on the quality adjustment in the settings page, can degrade performance. If you let it optimise games prior to uninstalling it (on the new Windows install), might want to reset games quality settings to default. If you didn't use GE after reinstalling Windows, don't worry about it.

That's correct

Sorry, after doing it once, you'll find it isn't too hard.

Actually, Msi offere's a Youtube video showing how to use Mflash. I apologies, i said EzFlash earlier (corrected), that is Asus's version, Msi uses Mflash. Same thing, different name.

Link to Youtube video here;
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z390-A-PRO

---

Aida64 youtube vid

Alright I think I downloaded the new BIOS update properly I followed the manual, unfortunately I don’t have a change :z to reply to your newer comment I play on 1080 p and frankly I have issues with pretty much every game when it comes to microstutters but it’s worse in some games like for instance the Total War Series, I’m not sure if you’re familiar with them but I get major frame drop when I click on things and tabs within the game. I’ll go from like 70 FPS-40 FPS just clicking on a tab, FPS won’t drop that much but I’ll also have some choppiness from moving around the campaign map.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
It is 144 Hz. I’ve made sure windows has it at the native Hz of my monitor as well.

Yeah just saw that in your OP.

Have you installed motherboard chipset drivers?

If cpu and gpu speeds and temps are good under load (reason for trying Aida to test cpu and which ever else that stresses components), im not sure what else to suggest.

Try disable GameBar in Windows. Another thing to try is turn off fullscreen optimisation in the compatibility tab for a game's application file.