Major frame spikes. Gpu useage goes down to 0.

Jul 6, 2018
Hey guys!
My games tend to spike to very low frame rates not sure why. When this happens my GPU usage goes down to 0. Does anyone know the problem? Would be great if anyone could help.

CPU: Intel i7 8700
Motherboard: ASUS z270-p
GPU: Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB GDDR5
Ram: Corsair Vengeance (1 x 8GB) DDR4 3000MHz
Case: NZXT HU-001 SILENT BLACK
Power Supply: Corsair 80 PLUS Bronze Certificated 550W
CPU Cooler: Intel box cooler
Things I've tried: Disabled V sync, Disabled anti aliasing, Used default settings in bios, disabled xmp and checked GPU and CPU temps while gaming. I've Seen my CPU rise up to 80oc and my GPU rises up to around 65 while gaming.
This has started to happen after I did a hardware change. I replaced my cpu, ram and motherboard.

Jul 6, 2018

No I kept my hardrive the way it was after the hardware change I might format my drive to try to fix the issue im having. What do you think?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Got a call of help from OP and now i'm here.

As far as your stutter issue goes, that is software based and not hardware based. Also, i'm not that good dealing with software issues since i'm hardware expert and not software expert. Though, if your issue were hardware based, you'd see your component(s) underperforming once you'd run UserBenchmark test tool,
link: https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Software

Post the results link here for further validation.

Since you kept your HDD "as is" when getting new CPU-MoBo-RAM combo, do reinstall your Win again + all the needed drivers. Because what you currently have is OS which has both, the old MoBo drivers and new MoBo drivers. It's bad idea to keep different drivers installed in your OS. (E.g in past, i've had mayor issues when i pulled my AMD GPU out of the PC and replaced it with Nvidia GPU, without 1st removing AMD GPU drivers.)

Jul 6, 2018

Formatted my hard drive. Installed latest motherboard bios and gpu drivers. Installed Cooler Master 212 evo cpu cooler. Here are my results: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/12100080
Some of my friends told me I should get a 650w power supply to fix the issue so I probably will get one in 2 weeks time and I am going to be buying another 8GB ram stick for games like Witcher 3 and Black Ops 4. Hopefully that will fix the problem. What do you think ?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Hmmm.... your CPU is way underperforming.
Download CPU-Z, link: https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html
Take a screenshot of the CPU tab, upload image to any image hosting site and post image link here.

While your HDD is showing it's age, that isn't the issue yet.

And lastly, your RAM isn't operating at it's rated speeds either.
Go to BIOS and enable RAM XMP profile, so that RAM runs at 3000 Mhz and not at stock speeds of 2133 Mhz.

New PSU only fixes the random reboot/shut down issue if you're having it. Provided that random reboots/shut downs aren't caused by overheating CPU/GPU.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador

UserBenchmark CPU benching isn't as stressful as AIDA64 or CinebenchR15, so i don't think it would be CPU throttle issue. Also, OP already made fresh Win install (read OP last reply).

Jul 6, 2018
Did as requested. Link: https://prnt.sc/lih88s
I had enabled xmp before I installed my CPU cooler that I mentioned earlier in this thread. When I was playing some triple-a games that put my CPU and GPU into heavy load with xmp on, the temperatures of my CPU were higher than when I had it off. Like around a 10oc margin. So my CPU temps were around 90oc
I'm sure I'm fine now because of the CPU cooler I'm using. Wonder why that was the case. I'll let you know if my issue is fixed. By the way sorry for the late replies. I've been busy with college work. Do you think the CPU is under performing because of the gpu?
I've bought my CPU brand new. It was delivered straight from an Amazon warehouse.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
While Intel stock CPU cooler is enough to cool non-K CPUs, you still need to have proper airflow inside your case. Without proper airflow, components (CPU/GPU) do overheat despite they having their own fan to cool them.

What are your current CPU temps on idle and under load (gaming)? I suspect pretty high.

Also, make a test: pull the side panel off from your case, so that you can see your GPU and run the temp test again. Look if you can get lower idle/under load temps with side panel off rather than side panel on. If you do, the issue is within the airflow inside your PC case.

Jul 6, 2018

Actually I've never used my new components with the side panel on and I cant put back on the side panel since my cpu fan cooler is a bit too big for the side of the case. Im going to get a new pc case next Friday anyways. Looking to get a case that looks more interesting and one that is not a hassle to cable manage because mine is. Its old and doesn't feature any cable management features. I'll let you know when I've tested it with the new PC case.

Jul 6, 2018
Sorry for the late update. Took awhile to get the money for the new PC case and I've bought more ddr4 ram before buying the pc case because it helps with my PC to play games like "Witcher 3" and "Black Ops 4". Formatting my PC removed all the old drivers and fixed the problem with my GPU usage but I'm having problems with one game called "Black Ops 2". I've monitored the frames and looks like I don't get any frame spikes but i see frequent stutters. I'm sure its not a hardware problem since my other games that require more performance to run play great. I'll make another thread since we are going off topic. Link: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3836497/black-ops-stutters-frame-drops-300fps.html