Major Hardware/Software Failure

Well, I've been working for some time on trying to get my
computer in a proper working condition. Unfortunately, all
my attempts have failed and now Windows does along with
them. For those of you who haven't pieced together my
multiple threads about my process now get to hear my
story. My computer consists of an AMD Athlon XP 2000+.
However, when I started my computer for the first time and
tried to install Windows it took approximately 38 hours.
Now, unless Windows' estimated time algorithm is out of
wack, or my computer was having some hardware problems.
Now unfortunately, I decided to change my BIOS settings to
comply with some of those wonderful STOP errors. This
caused my computer to lock up and not boot. I went to my
motherboard and used the jumper to reset the CMOS. This
set my FSB to 100 MHz, which was the default for the BIOS,
which made my processor go from a XP 2000+ to an AMD 1250.

I had posted a help message on this forum in order to find
out why my computer would not run properly when my FSB was
at 133 MHz, but it would at 100MHz. I talked to a friend
about my problem and he suggested that I step the FSB by
small increments until I could not get Windows to boot.
This would still allow me to get the most power out of my
processor as possible, while not causing the system to
crash continuously. I got to 110 MHz before Windows could
no longer boot. So I reset my clock back to 100 MHz, and
to my suprise, Windows refuses to boot, even in safe mode.
It restarts as soon as it finishes loading Mup.sys.
Normally, it shows my boot screen, flashes a stop error
for about 1/10 of a second, and then reboots.

I let a friend borrow my CD in order to repair his
installation, but unfortunately, he lost it on me. So now
I'm stuck without a Windows XP CD. So I borrowed my
brother's, and when I try to enter the recovery console,
it detects my HD as being 244 MB when it is 80 GB. It
attempts to examine the "Startup Environment" but halts at
that point.

So here's where I have some questions. First, how can I
get Windows to boot properly? I doubt that it is going to
be impossible to recover the Stop error code, because the
screen passes by too fast to catch. I believe it also
restarts before the graphics card can finish drawing the
screen. Secondly, how could I get Windows to work properly
with a FSB of 133 MHz? Thirdly, why didn't Microsoft put a
timer into the Stop screen so that people could actually
have time to read it?

Answers to any of these questions would be greatly
appreciated.

Evan

Go to the nearest hardware store, buy a 8-12 pound sledge
hammer.

"Evan Patton" <evan_patton@hotmail.com> wrote in message
| Well, I've been working for some time on trying to get my
| computer in a proper working condition. Unfortunately, all
| my attempts have failed and now Windows does along with
| them. For those of you who haven't pieced together my
| multiple threads about my process now get to hear my
| story. My computer consists of an AMD Athlon XP 2000+.
| However, when I started my computer for the first time and
| tried to install Windows it took approximately 38 hours.
| Now, unless Windows' estimated time algorithm is out of
| wack, or my computer was having some hardware problems.
| Now unfortunately, I decided to change my BIOS settings to
| comply with some of those wonderful STOP errors. This
| caused my computer to lock up and not boot. I went to my
| motherboard and used the jumper to reset the CMOS. This
| set my FSB to 100 MHz, which was the default for the BIOS,
| which made my processor go from a XP 2000+ to an AMD 1250.
|
| I had posted a help message on this forum in order to find
| out why my computer would not run properly when my FSB was
| at 133 MHz, but it would at 100MHz. I talked to a friend
| about my problem and he suggested that I step the FSB by
| small increments until I could not get Windows to boot.
| This would still allow me to get the most power out of my
| processor as possible, while not causing the system to
| crash continuously. I got to 110 MHz before Windows could
| no longer boot. So I reset my clock back to 100 MHz, and
| to my suprise, Windows refuses to boot, even in safe mode.
| It restarts as soon as it finishes loading Mup.sys.
| Normally, it shows my boot screen, flashes a stop error
| for about 1/10 of a second, and then reboots.
|
| I let a friend borrow my CD in order to repair his
| installation, but unfortunately, he lost it on me. So now
| I'm stuck without a Windows XP CD. So I borrowed my
| brother's, and when I try to enter the recovery console,
| it detects my HD as being 244 MB when it is 80 GB. It
| attempts to examine the "Startup Environment" but halts at
| that point.
|
| So here's where I have some questions. First, how can I
| get Windows to boot properly? I doubt that it is going to
| be impossible to recover the Stop error code, because the
| screen passes by too fast to catch. I believe it also
| restarts before the graphics card can finish drawing the
| screen. Secondly, how could I get Windows to work properly
| with a FSB of 133 MHz? Thirdly, why didn't Microsoft put a
| timer into the Stop screen so that people could actually
| have time to read it?
|
| Answers to any of these questions would be greatly
| appreciated.
|
| Evan

Reset the BIOS once again and do not adjust anything yet. While the case is
opened, recheck the assembly. Check the fans. Check the RAM. Ensure the HDD
is recognized in a full capacity. Post here the results.

I reset the BIOS, which detects the hard drive. It
displays a screen before booting into Windows which lists
the hardware and it is listed as being 80 GB on that list.
This issue with Windows really has me stumped.

Now you should change HKLM\SYSTEM\CCS\Control\CrashControl REG_DWORD value
Autoreboot from 0x1 to 0x0. You will need a second computer or parallel
installation to do this.
Meanwhile, accelerate FSB from 100MHz to 133MHz and boot. If the system
won't boot, i.e. will restart, perform in-place upgrade or roll back some
System Restore points. If it won't help, perform a clean parallel
installation. If it won't boot, you still have major hardware problems such
as the unstable RAM and or improper assembly.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;314466
Black Startup Screen Is Briefly Displayed, Computer Restarts Repeatedly

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;315341
How to perform an in-place upgrade (reinstallation) of Windows XP