Major Issue: New AMD driver install now PC won't boot

Dean McKenzie

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015
After installing the new AMD drivers (17.4.1 ReLive) today, the GPU or driver crashed right at the end of the install and resulted in rainbow screen (nothing to unfamiliar). When I tried to restart it, the boot splash screen didn't even show up and now, no matter how long I hold, pressing the power or restart button does nothing. I don't have onboard graphics so that is out of the question too. All the lights are on and all the fans, hard drives are spinning. It just never got past the boot splash screen. Forcing it to turn off at the PSU means now that I can turn it off with the button on the case but thhe some problem still exist.

CPU: AMD FX-8350
MOBO: MSI 970A SLI Krait
GPU: Sapphire Tech HD7950 Vapor-X
PSU: EVGA 500W
RAM: 1 x Corsair 8GB 1600Mhz

[OS = Windows 10]

Solution

I feel stupid now but clearing the CMOS worked, thanks for the help.

JochemR

Prominent
Apr 8, 2017
Seems to me your system won't POST (Power On Self Test). That usually means one of your components is not working properly, in this case that would probably be your GPU. Try resetting the BIOS/UEFI entirely. If that doesn't work you should test if your GPU works in a different computer to make sure whether it's damaged.

Good luck!

Dean McKenzie

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

I realised as you said, I meant post not boot, yes my PC wont even POST. I dont have another system that can run my GPU but I did try putting another GPU in, a HD 4350, and the same happened. It's a little late in the night to be pulling apart computers completely so I will check in tomorrow with the results.

UPDATE: I've tried two other GPU's (HD4350 & GeForce 210) both didn't work. I swapped the RAM and the HDD and even tried without the HDD and still nothing. Luckily it seems it isn't the GPU, unfortunately it's either CPU or MOBO died.
Maybe something to do with firmware?

Dean McKenzie

Reputable
Jun 16, 2015

I feel stupid now but clearing the CMOS worked, thanks for the help.

Solution