[SOLVED] Major issues after CPU/mobo upgrade

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Hello!

I took the plunge from 9th->12th gen intel this week. I read numerous conflicting reports about upgrading WITHOUT reinstalling windows. I have seen a full reinstall recommended numerous times and understand why it is beneficial, however I have many programs installed and really, really, really do not want to have to start from nothing again.

Here is my current situation: I have installed the new hardware (typing this from the PC now) but the start menu does not work and apps such as steam/razer synapse say things like "please set registry key point...to the .NET framework to install location" and " the steam registry path is not currently writeable". I get it, this was a bad idea. But before I totally give up and just do a reinstall is there any fix for this? I have tried BIOS settings, using my windows boot drive (it only offers the option of fresh reinstall with deletion of ALL files AND programs), and various methods of windows auto-repair.

Please, Tom's hardware perusers, is there any way to rectify this? Based on the fact that some things are working it makes me think that some simpler-than-expected solution may exist. Of note, my name on the sign in window is now my email address rather than my User name. Is this somehow related?

Thank you so much in advance

Solution
Please, Tom's hardware perusers, is there any way to rectify this?
Yes. The strongly recommended full wipe and reinstall.

There are hundreds of pathways and key entries in the Registry that would need to be fixed, as well as many many other things.

We ALL understand the pain of a fresh OS install.
However....when there are issues, like you have here....there is NOT a way to really fix.
You'll be chasing issues for weeks or months.

USAFRet

Titan
Please, Tom's hardware perusers, is there any way to rectify this?

There are hundreds of pathways and key entries in the Registry that would need to be fixed, as well as many many other things.

However....when there are issues, like you have here....there is NOT a way to really fix.

Solution

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020

Is there a good way to backup my files now that I am in this state? Or do I need to reinstall my old motherboard and then back it up from there before re-reinstalling my new hardware?

USAFRet

Titan
Is there a good way to backup my files now that I am in this state? Or do I need to reinstall my old motherboard and then back it up from there before re-reinstalling my new hardware?
If you can get to them in this current system, copy them to some other storage device.
If not, reassemble the old system, and hope THAT still works.

This ALSO speaks to having a known good backup at all times.
Especially when doing a major hardware or software change.

Your data should never be at the mercy of a single system or drive.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
If you can get to them in this current system, copy them to some other storage device.
If not, reassemble the old system, and hope THAT still works.

This ALSO speaks to having a known good backup at all times.
Especially when doing a major hardware or software change.

Your data should never be at the mercy of a single system or drive.
When I select the reinstall from fresh will that only wipe C:? Or also my connected NVME and HDD? Will I need to disconnect those first before I reinstall to prevent data loss of photos, games, etc?

USAFRet

Titan
When I select the reinstall from fresh will that only wipe C:? Or also my connected NVME and HDD? Will I need to disconnect those first before I reinstall to prevent data loss of photos, games, etc?
Absolutely disconnect those.
That should be the case for EVERY WIndows install...only the one drive connected.

Reconnect the others later.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Absolutely disconnect those.
That should be the case for EVERY WIndows install...only the one drive connected.

Reconnect the others later.

Thanks! I am currently copying my entire C: drive to another drive. Is that my best shot at a backup at this point?

USAFRet

Titan
Thanks! I am currently copying my entire C: drive to another drive. Is that my best shot at a backup at this point?
Actually, no.

You really only want your personal files.
And not the Libraries they live in. Such as Documents/Pics/etc.

You'll run into permissions issues getting to them later.
You can get around that, but why not prevent it beforehand.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Actually, no.

You really only want your personal files.
And not the Libraries they live in. Such as Documents/Pics/etc.

You'll run into permissions issues getting to them later.
You can get around that, but why not prevent it beforehand.
How can I best retrieve just the personal files?

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Find them and copy elsewhere.
Only you know where they might be.
Find and copy them.
Then look again.
Then look a 3rd time...;)
What I am most interested in is all my installers to make setup easier, files which contain settings for games, etc. Of course I know where my downloads and other things are but I was hoping that a full backup of my SSD would then allow me to just extract what I need (and may not think I need before I go past the point of no return) once my PC is fully functional and then delete the excess.

USAFRet

Titan
What I am most interested in is all my installers to make setup easier, files which contain settings for games, etc. Of course I know where my downloads and other things are but I was hoping that a full backup of my SSD would then allow me to just extract what I need (and may not think I need before I go past the point of no return) once my PC is fully functional and then delete the excess.
Unknown if you can do that.

I know with a backup tool like Macrium, you can mount an Image as a drive letter and extract whichever files you need.
I do not know about whatever Windows thing you used.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Unknown if you can do that.

I know with a backup tool like Macrium, you can mount an Image as a drive letter and extract whichever files you need.
I do not know about whatever Windows thing you used.
As of now I literally just copied my entire C: drive (all folders in the root) and pasted them onto my 2tb NVME

USAFRet

Titan
Cool! Thanks. I appreciate the help. I am just confused about how others have made tutorials with success simply dropping a new CPU/mobo in with the same windows install. Is it just blind luck?
Luck.
Also, deception, because they did not delve into doing this with a complex install.

There are 3 basic possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.

You've found #3.
I've personally had all 3.

ap3

Prominent
Jun 14, 2020
Luck.
Also, deception, because they did not delve into doing this with a complex install.

There are 3 basic possibilities:
  1. It works just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It "works", but you're chasing issues for weeks/months.
You've found #3.
I've personally had all 3.
Fair enough. Thank you again for taking the time to get me on the right path. Hoping between my data and the take ownership regedit I can make a smooth transition to the new OS. Any final tips before I commit?

TRENDING THREADS