Question Major issues with... everything. CPU Light on!

Feb 27, 2019
Hey guys, I’m super new to this whole forum, so sorry if my title is confusing. I’m having major issues with my whole PC.

Just 2 days ago I went to bed and left my PC running as I usually do. I woke up in the morning to a laggy mess and couldn’t figure out what was wrong until I got a warning that my CPU was cooking at about 90 celsius. I immediately shut down my PC and quickly figured out the pump on my Fractal S36 had died. No big deal, it happens (although it wasn’t covered by warranty because I bought it used).

Yesterday I went out and bought a Corsair H100i Pro and swapped it out with my old S36. I made sure my power was off when installing and while I was at it, checked to make sure all of my cables were properly installed. I went to boot my PC and was immediately met with my CPU light on. Unsure what was going on, I looked it up and decided my best route of action was to make sure my new cooler was seated properly and my thermal paste was a-ok.

I did that and upon my next attempt to boot was met with a DRAM light. Again, I looked up what to do and tested each RAM slot with a stick of RAM I knew was good that I borrowed from my roommate. Still, the DRAM light was coming on. Finally, I reset my CMOS by shorting the pins with a screwdriver.

This leads to where I am now. I’ve breadboarded the whole PC to make working easier. When I tried to boot, my DRAM light turned on then flicked to my CPU light. The two will turn on alternately for 20 seconds before my PSU will make a small clicking noise (the same sounds it makes and has always made when turning on/off) before shutting down the whole system. Complete failure to POST.

I’m at a loss of what to do. If yalls could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

Specs
CPU: I7-7700k
Motherboard: Gigabyte Designare Z270
CPU cooler: Corsair H100i Pro
RAM: Tridentz RGB DDR4-3000 (2x8gb sticks)
PSU: Corsair RM 850i

Unrelated specs
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv
GPU (uninstalled because it isn’t part of the problem): EVGA GTX 1080 ti

I would also suspect the CPU. I've had an i7-7700K fail on me. It was the last component that I replaced when diagnosing the problem after having replaced both the motherboard and memory.

I RMA'ed the faulty CPU to Intel and got back a replacement that fixed the problem.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019
I would also suspect the CPU. I've had an i7-7700K fail on me. It was the last component that I replaced when diagnosing the problem after having replaced both the motherboard and memory.

I RMA'ed the faulty CPU to Intel and got back a replacement that fixed the problem.
Just did the paperclip test, PSU is blown. At this rate, I'm suspect that the whole PC might be toast