Major League Gaming Bans Razer Onza Gamepad

Status
Not open for further replies.

fivewall

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]it's too bad that third party controllers are always wired. look at the wire dangling off that thing.[/citation]

If your serious about competitive gaming you would never use a wireless controller due to the added latency.

geossj5

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2010
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]it's too bad that third party controllers are always wired. look at the wire dangling off that thing.[/citation]

..n00b

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
I too understand why they banned it and it is shame that Razer didn't listen to MLG when they told them.

Having said that, if MLG is going to ban one 3rd party controller, they should ban all 3rd party controllers, just my opinion of course.

And fivewall is right, it is EXTREMELY rare to find a serious competitive gamer using a wireless controller, there just isn't any benefit to using a wireless controller over a wired one in competitive play.

cold fire

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I've been waiting for this controller since its announcement. There's nothing regarding its release date in Razer's website.

Does anyone know when it will be available?

G

I held the Onza in my own hands at GamesCom. There is no auto-fire slider. There is only the ability to map buttons to the extra bumpers along with the tension rings on the thumbsticks... Just for clarification as you seemed to have neglected that part of our article.

Thank for citing us as source :)

Christophor Rick, CEO
Gamers Daily News

lucuis

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
@Ares1214 Ok picture this...your a pro gamer. In an MLG game, your battery dies...oh noes. Yeah wireless is kinda dumb imo, have to deal with batteries, crappy ones at that, and the minute amount of latency introduced. Just so that you are minus a cord that won't get in the way unless you try to walk away from the xbox with it.

It does have it's perks for the casual gamer though.

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
[citation][nom]Cold fire[/nom]I've been waiting for this controller since its announcement. There's nothing regarding its release date in Razer's website. Does anyone know when it will be available?[/citation]
Rumors I've heard said it'll be released before the holiday season 2010, which usually means mid to late November. Although, now that MLG has placed a ban on the controller, I wouldn't be surprised if the release gets pushed farther back so Razer can fix it.
Somewhat pointless (from a press perspective anyway) for a top of the line gaming controller to not be allowed in one of the world's biggest gaming leagues.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I'd like to point out that there have been keyboards with macros that you could program for years now and on top of that if youre a pro gamer any edge you can get that's not a cheat or exploit in the game should be legal. MGS should evolve with the times rather than be bigots and/or purists.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Wired controllers contain that which aids plant growth and it is very powerful. Besides, this is a simple ploy to promote a sponsor... err to marginalize a sponsor's competition.

traken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
"People pay a lot of money now for modded controllers with extra buttons that will rapid fire or macro."

Did anyone else read this as "You can cheat as long as you pay a LOT of money rather than something affordable"?

Supertrek32

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Lucuis[/nom]@Ares1214 Ok picture this...your a pro gamer. In an MLG game, your battery dies...oh noes. Yeah wireless is kinda dumb imo, have to deal with batteries, crappy ones at that, and the minute amount of latency introduced. Just so that you are minus a cord that won't get in the way unless you try to walk away from the xbox with it. It does have it's perks for the casual gamer though.[/citation]
...That's just dumb. If you were at a tournament, anyone with half a brain would stick in a fresh pair of batteries just in case.

As far as actual lag goes modern wireless stuff (such as xbox controllers) have so little it isn't even a factor. It's not humanly noticeable, so it's not going to impact your gaming, even at a professional level.

That said, wireless controllers can't be used in MLG anyway. If I recall correctly, xbox controllers are designed with a max spec of 64 controllers in a single area. If you're in a big tournament building with hundreds of xboxs, you'll end up passing this limit and controllers will interfere with each other.

On another note, the controller wasn't banned because the buttons were moved, it was because there are extra buttons. You could then modify the extra buttons to be turbo buttons, and there's really no way to tell without opening each one. To do the same on a regular controller, you'd have to either add a button (easy to spot) or replace one of the pre-existing buttons. To quote the admin's words: "Sure, someone could do that now with a Microsoft controller, but by doing that they are removing a default button on their controller."

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]supertrek32[/nom]...That's just dumb. If you were at a tournament, anyone with half a brain would stick in a fresh pair of batteries just in case.As far as actual lag goes modern wireless stuff (such as xbox controllers) have so little it isn't even a factor. It's not humanly noticeable, so it's not going to impact your gaming, even at a professional level.That said, wireless controllers can't be used in MLG anyway. If I recall correctly, xbox controllers are designed with a max spec of 64 controllers in a single area. If you're in a big tournament building with hundreds of xboxs, you'll end up passing this limit and controllers will interfere with each other.On another note, the controller wasn't banned because the buttons were moved, it was because there are extra buttons. You could then modify the extra buttons to be turbo buttons, and there's really no way to tell without opening each one. To do the same on a regular controller, you'd have to either add a button (easy to spot) or replace one of the pre-existing buttons. To quote the admin's words: "Sure, someone could do that now with a Microsoft controller, but by doing that they are removing a default button on their controller."[/citation]

A couple of things: I wouldn't want to fumble around with batteries in mid-match. It might even pause certain games in a tournament round because of dead batteries, and you'd piss off everyone, and probably disqualify you as well.

Secondly, I'm sorry if you can't feel wireless delay. I've tried 6+ different wireless mice and about 20+ wireless controllers (from PS1 onward), and for the most part the lag is noticeable. Sure, the MS 360 one is better than most, but as a tournament Street Fighter Alpha 1/2/3, MSH, MVC 1/2, SF3:TS and CS:S player, let me tell you that I will prefer wired 9 times out of 10.

So before you spout terms such as 'humanly noticeable', please be sure to do research on humans other than yourself.

CoryInJapan

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
[citation][nom]ares1214[/nom]Wired controllers=less latency and lag, and for those who do this professionally, matters. To me, conveniency of wireless> 0.00002 ms lag descrease of wired.[/citation]
Yup I love wired controllers. Way better than wireless...Competitively speaking

xrodney

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]fivewall[/nom]If your serious about competitive gaming you would never use a wireless controller due to the added latency.[/citation]
Are you serious ?
Wireless devices usually don't add that much latency (unless you are able press that button thousand times per second.
This is just another fud same as with optical mouses having worse responses then classical ball ones and thus not recommended for gaming.

If having 20.5ms response instead of 20ms is that big issue for you then sure. Added latency is next to nothing compared to whole process. And not having cable can actually help as controller is lighter and allow 100% free movement.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
i prefer wired controller because, personally, i hate to replace weak batteries and have them scattered around. i mean, they're not dead yet but not strong enough for regular use.

Status
Not open for further replies.