Major milk spillage, PC still powers on, fans still run, no picture on screen.

mscoblic

Commendable
Feb 19, 2018
Around 6 months ago, I had spilled a glass of chocolate milk down the fan vent on the top of my tower. I wasn't actively using this PC when this spill happened, so it sat in my basement for 6 months until I recently decided to pull it out. I plugged everything in and clicked the power button. The lights lit up inside the case, and fans were spinning, but there was no picture that showed up on my monitor.

I took my PC to a computer repair shop last weekend for a hardware "check". After picking it up today, I was told that everything is shot (corrosion) except the graphics card. (I believe my friend was borrowing it when the spill happened) I'm feeling a little bit skeptical, as this place was a little sketchy. I paid the $50 fee and hauled my PC home.

I did a little bit of research online and was trying to go through all my hardware on my own. I read that if any lights on the MB lit up after powering up the computer, that my MB was still operational. I powered up my computer and some LEDs light up. Also, both the keyboard and mouse I plug into the USB slots aren't powered. I also noticed that the fans on my graphics card don't run, but ever 5 seconds, the fan starts moving 1/4 turn and then stops again.

I'm willing to buy new parts, I just don't know where to start.

Parts:
Graphics Card - EVGA GeForce GTX 970 SSC
Motherboard - Gigabyte Intel X58/Intel ICH10R Intel X58 ATX DDR3 2200 LGA 1366 Motherboard (GA-X58A-UD3R)

Solution
If you spilled milk on your PC and left it, then you probably broke it. I'd normally suggest drying it off and putting it in a bag of rice for 24-28 hrs as that can work well, but you've left it for a long time. You could get a BIOS speaker and see what code it's putting out, but my gut feel is that the mobo is gone. Depending upon where the milk landed, your PSU, HDDs, CPU, RAM etc are probably salvageable.

diellur

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
If you spilled milk on your PC and left it, then you probably broke it. I'd normally suggest drying it off and putting it in a bag of rice for 24-28 hrs as that can work well, but you've left it for a long time. You could get a BIOS speaker and see what code it's putting out, but my gut feel is that the mobo is gone. Depending upon where the milk landed, your PSU, HDDs, CPU, RAM etc are probably salvageable.

Solution