[SOLVED] Major ping spikes

Laughskate

Great
May 20, 2020
Hello. I have been experiencing some major ping spikes I suspect it's my usb wifi adapter but i don't know how to fix it. By major i mean from ping spikes that range from 400-2000ms.

Solution
The game servers should have no be the cause of the issue if you are seeing the problem with the ping command and you are ping your local router IP. This is why you use real ping commands and control what you ping. You have eliminated the internet and the game code as the problem.

The so called ping times in games many times are not actual ping commands. You can see similar number for other traffic in the network activity tab. You will see latency numbers for open sessions. These numbers better represent the delay but they also can be greatly affected by the server and web application code so they are not good for troubleshooting.

Laughskate

Great
May 20, 2020
I tried pinging some servers like google and found something strange. Every time I'd ping there will be a request timed out error. I wonder if this is connected? While pinging it'll sometimes go over 30ms. Also when testing my ping on krunker.io it'd say 85ms while players are teleporting around.

Because other machines do not have the issue it indicates it is likely the wifi or your machine. A test with ethernet would confirm the internet is fine and that it is not your machine itself. The key reason to test with a ethernet cable is to avoid spending money you don't have to. I would also try the machine right next to the router with the wifi, it could be a distance thing.

With wifi you have very few options. You need to make sure you have the latest driver. After that you need to decide if you want to just replace the adapter. Those tiny USB adapters are garbage so avoid them. The best ones tend to be the ones that come with a stand and USB cable so it can be set away from the computer. These also tend to have much larger antenna and full power radios unlike those micro USB devices.

The game servers should have no be the cause of the issue if you are seeing the problem with the ping command and you are ping your local router IP. This is why you use real ping commands and control what you ping. You have eliminated the internet and the game code as the problem.

The so called ping times in games many times are not actual ping commands. You can see similar number for other traffic in the network activity tab. You will see latency numbers for open sessions. These numbers better represent the delay but they also can be greatly affected by the server and web application code so they are not good for troubleshooting.

Solution