Question Major project custom Car PC build (need help with planning)

Sep 1, 2024
So I have a rather unique idea in my head so this might be a bit long, and I'm trying to brainstorm it. I have had this plan for a while to try to modify the shell of an old car (no mechanical components that make it drive, just the body and interior), and fashion it into a fully functional Computer for sim racing. as of right now I have no plans for motion sim (simply it would not be a good idea to mate a PC into a machine that's in constant motion). I just want this to be about the immersion of sitting inside an actual vehicle for sim racing, as well as have it be a flashy, attention-grabbing piece that can be admired and enjoyed by multiple people.

before anyone says it...this is going to be an incredible undertaking, and a pretty good investment I am aware.

now down to the overall plan i have in my head:
I want all the creature comforts of a vehicle to be functional from the interior. this includes; the radio, speakers, gauge cluster, AC (instead of using the cars AC system i would really just refit a AC unit into the car for this feature. i have family that are HVAC pros so this one isnt so much my worry).
I want the engine bay to now be the area in which the PC is built under. using a custom made mounting plate and rubber grooves for wiring.
i want to refit 2 copper cored vehicle radiators for usage in two separate watercooling loops (separate for the purpose of multiple colors of fluid) not sure of a pump that would be strong enough to move fluid from these through the loop. considered a fountain pump.
I want the headlights to be custom made into reservoirs for coolant.
I want to have monitor screens that are hidden when the PC is off but raise into position in front of the windshield and the windows when turned on.
I would really like to install screen where the head unit would typically go, this screen would be an auxiliary screen with computer status information such as temperatures and usage limits.
remove old steering wheel and column to install a direct drive wheel system that is removable. so that in the event of doing anything other than racing sim games, the user can give themself space to use the the computer for other games or functions.
lastly i want to install a hidden tray that can raise up and sit in the lap of the user so they can use a mouse and keyboard.

I am aware this is a SUPER impractical thing to make. but i have a shop and space to make it. and honestly, I just want to make it because it would be cool.

what i am really looking for here is to start a discussion of the various ideas and parts i might need, planning of systems and if there is a way i could theoretically make all of these ideas work cohesively together as one unit. I DO NOT want to build a PC that is separate from the car. i want the whole shell and PC to become one unit. think like the shell of the car becoming a case for the PC.

if i can actually get the confidence in planning to start this build i plan to document everything in photo and video format.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Just throwing out some ideas here, but there are a number of cars out there which are beautiful and had such mechanical issues that an otherwise great looking shell should be easy to find. For instance, Audi. The issue I see on certain aspects here is the 'computerization' of so many modern cars that having certain creature comforts operational as you desire probably won't operate correctly without the control modules and such things (honestly) a running engine. With this said if you go backwards in time to ~the late 70's and early 80's the control modules won't be an issue but there you run into anything desirable being a large cost factor. For instance, consider what a nice shape 70 Mustang shell would cost even aside from availability.

There are quite a few systems which are designed to raise/lower a screen, so you really shouldn't run into issue there. There are other aspects of this idea that go way over my pay grade. Sounds like it could be a cool dream though. Best of luck, really.

Sep 1, 2024
Just throwing out some ideas here, but there are a number of cars out there which are beautiful and had such mechanical issues that an otherwise great looking shell should be easy to find. For instance, Audi. The issue I see on certain aspects here is the 'computerization' of so many modern cars that having certain creature comforts operational as you desire probably won't operate correctly without the control modules and such things (honestly) a running engine. With this said if you go backwards in time to ~the late 70's and early 80's the control modules won't be an issue but there you run into anything desirable being a large cost factor. For instance, consider what a nice shape 70 Mustang shell would cost even aside from availability.

There are quite a few systems which are designed to raise/lower a screen, so you really shouldn't run into issue there. There are other aspects of this idea that go way over my pay grade. Sounds like it could be a cool dream though. Best of luck, really.
thank you! and yeah i totally agree with you, the only possible way a modern car could be used with all those features would be with the ECU and control modules intact, which is honestly not impossible but its massive undertaking with reprogramming and asking systems that don't communicate regularly to work together. unless i was willing to design a custom version of every feature in the car, it would be too much work for any one person to do on their own.

but you are right, if i were to use an older body, hell maybe even up to the early 90's. i shouldn't have any real issue with mating those systems since they are basic electronics. most everything is button operated so it would be much easier.

my current options for bodies are as such: 80's c3 corvette, 70's style mustang like you mentioned, firebird, rx-7, or even a e-85 BMW body. there are a small few modern vehicles i consider but not quite as much seeing as how i would have to sacrifice functionality of modern features.

i do believe the refitting of the radiators for the loop would likely be on the larger end of complexity, as well as fashioning the headlights into reservoirs. generally i think i want to use common equipment to just make the shell of the car a working PC first and then i can make my focus the areas that require more custom fabrication.

i would likely test build the loop first before putting it in the shell.

Sep 1, 2024

generally tho i peruse marketplace and similar sites for rolling shells that i can use. and there are some amazing options. currently i am considering a first generation RX-7 in yellow for just under 2000 dollars. size isnt much of a concern since i am using the engine bay of a car, ill have more room than i know what to do with regardless of the model of car.

USAFRet

Titan
thank you! and yeah i totally agree with you, the only possible way a modern car could be used with all those features would be with the ECU and control modules intact, which is honestly not impossible but its massive undertaking with reprogramming and asking systems that don't communicate regularly to work together. unless i was willing to design a custom version of every feature in the car, it would be too much work for any one person to do on their own.

but you are right, if i were to use an older body, hell maybe even up to the early 90's. i shouldn't have any real issue with mating those systems since they are basic electronics. most everything is button operated so it would be much easier.

my current options for bodies are as such: 80's c3 corvette, 70's style mustang like you mentioned, firebird, rx-7, or even a e-85 BMW body. there are a small few modern vehicles i consider but not quite as much seeing as how i would have to sacrifice functionality of modern features.

i do believe the refitting of the radiators for the loop would likely be on the larger end of complexity, as well as fashioning the headlights into reservoirs. generally i think i want to use common equipment to just make the shell of the car a working PC first and then i can make my focus the areas that require more custom fabrication.

i would likely test build the loop first before putting it in the shell.
From I'm reading, the car shell does not matter, new or old.

You could build this inside a Model T.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
From I'm reading, the car shell does not matter, new or old.

You could build this inside a Model T.

It actually does though. Most modern cars are made to work only with the management computers and data coming back from the parts it expects to see. This can be avoided in a lot of older cars in that there actually are already aftermarket thing available to replace aspects of thing like gauge cluster and so on.

@tommeyers787 I owned quite a few RX7 in the first and second gen. At this point and aside from the gauges and whatnot working (Granny's Speed Shop if they still exist) is going to be interior parts being intact and still usable. 2nd gen RX7 center console would be worse than eggshells at this point. 1st gen will be impossible to find.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Not for nothing, it might be more cost effective to MAKE what you want this to be in a style for which you can find parts at Summit or other vendors. Do a basic frame in that follows the parameters where you could stick a front clip over it or whatnot.

USAFRet

Titan
It actually does though. Most modern cars are made to work only with the management computers and data coming back from the parts it expects to see. This can be avoided in a lot of older cars in that there actually are already aftermarket thing available to replace aspects of thing like gauge cluster and so on.

@tommeyers787 I owned quite a few RX7 in the first and second gen. At this point and aside from the gauges and whatnot working (Granny's Speed Shop if they still exist) is going to be interior parts being intact and still usable. 2nd gen RX7 center console would be worse than eggshells at this point. 1st gen will be impossible to find.
I was looking at this as literally just the metal shell.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I was looking at this as literally just the metal shell.

OP :

"I want all the creature comforts of a vehicle to be functional from the interior. this includes; the radio, speakers, gauge cluster, AC (instead of using the cars AC system i would really just refit a AC unit into the car for this feature. i have family that are HVAC pros so this one isnt so much my worry)."

So, therein the difficulty. Now, it isn't to say it couldn't be done as the automobile modding community has a lot going on. Then having to integrate that back for the gaming PC features desired.

Sep 1, 2024
Not for nothing, it might be more cost effective to MAKE what you want this to be in a style for which you can find parts at Summit or other vendors. Do a basic frame in that follows the parameters where you could stick a front clip over it or whatnot.
actually i was just thinking, fabricating a frame is a big task, but there are quite a few very common kit cars i might be able to get a hold of. specifically im thinking the bradley GT that was built on old beetle frames. theres quite a few of them and they have rather barebones interiors. which would mean i could modify that to fit a more common dashboard. either way though, the goal is to find something that is reasonably common. in my area there are a lot of rolling shells available. but keeping it to older models is better. honestly a 99 mustang svt body would be ideal since its very common but electronically simple in the interior

USAFRet

Titan
OP :

"I want all the creature comforts of a vehicle to be functional from the interior. this includes; the radio, speakers, gauge cluster, AC (instead of using the cars AC system i would really just refit a AC unit into the car for this feature. i have family that are HVAC pros so this one isnt so much my worry)."

So, therein the difficulty. Now, it isn't to say it couldn't be done as the automobile modding community has a lot going on. Then having to integrate that back for the gaming PC features desired.
Then I misread completely.

Not an insignificant project.

Sep 1, 2024
Then I misread completely.

Not an insignificant project.
it would be a large project to take on yeah. but from what i can imagine it shouldn't be outside the realm of do ability. instead of aligning the gauge cluster to the inputs of the computer, i would rather just fit in a aftermarket digital cluster that reacts to the input of the gaming controller pedals. the speakers can be wired into a harness and mated to an aux or USB input, the radio head unit is its own thing entirely, and i dont know if i would actually use a head unit (all music and audio can be controlled from the PC so it could be rather useless) instead i think in place of a radio i would install a system status screen that displays temperatures and stress. and for the AC, i have no plans on using the ac system inside the car. i want to refashion a window AC unit into the car and just move the air through the already present AC vents. this could be as simple as just removing the guts of a AC unit and putting it snugly behind the dashboard. the rest of the dashboard buttons can be mapped like peripherals on a keyboard that serve macro functions.

What would be awesome is have 3 projectors mounted above the car that would put you in a simulated world in correct aspect ratio " size of the car".

I can see this in my mind sitting at the wheel and seeing the full car as you game and the driving in the game world with the real car.