My screen has been flicking on and off for a while now. Changed the monitor
- still happens. Now it has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds at a
time, sometimes not coming back on again and also distorting the graphics on
the screen. It happens whenever I try to move the mouse and do anything! Can
anyone please help me?!

Open the computer case and visually ascertain that the small fan on the
video card is spinning at a good rate of speed. Also make sure that the fan
housing is not impacted with dust/dirt. It sounds like the card is over
heating.

--
Regards,

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User

Quote from: George Ankner

"Georgina" <Georgina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My screen has been flicking on and off for a while now. Changed the
> monitor
> - still happens. Now it has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds at a
> time, sometimes not coming back on again and also distorting the graphics
> on
> the screen. It happens whenever I try to move the mouse and do anything!
> Can
> anyone please help me?!

Hi

Have you tried installing the latest XP compliant drivers for your graphics
card from the manufacturer's web site?

--

Will Denny
MS MVP Windows Shell/User

"Georgina" <Georgina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My screen has been flicking on and off for a while now. Changed the
> monitor
> - still happens. Now it has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds at a
> time, sometimes not coming back on again and also distorting the graphics
> on
> the screen. It happens whenever I try to move the mouse and do anything!
> Can
> anyone please help me?!

Thanks for your message.

Yes these were updated last week. Do you know what else it could be?? I've
got AVG virus software, this wouldnt create any problems would it??

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Have you tried installing the latest XP compliant drivers for your graphics
> card from the manufacturer's web site?
>
> --
>

> Will Denny
> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
> "Georgina" <Georgina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My screen has been flicking on and off for a while now. Changed the
> > monitor
> > - still happens. Now it has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds at a
> > time, sometimes not coming back on again and also distorting the graphics
> > on
> > the screen. It happens whenever I try to move the mouse and do anything!
> > Can
> > anyone please help me?!

"Georgina" <Georgina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My screen has been flicking on and off for a while now. Changed the
> monitor
> - still happens. Now it has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds at a
> time, sometimes not coming back on again and also distorting the graphics
> on
> the screen. It happens whenever I try to move the mouse and do anything!
> Can
> anyone please help me?!

No ideas, but if you boot into safe mode does it still happen? I think safe
mode uses standard VGA drivers so if the problem persists in safe mode then
you can be sure it has nothing to do with your display driver.

You don't have anything near the monitor that could be causing interference?

Are you able to borrow and try a different display adapter (the card in the
pc) to see if that helps?

Brian.

--
www.cryer.co.uk/brian

Hi

Have you got more than one User Account on your system? If so, is the same
problem prevalent in those other Accounts?

--

> Thanks for your message.
>
> Yes these were updated last week. Do you know what else it could be??
> I've
> got AVG virus software, this wouldnt create any problems would it??
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Have you tried installing the latest XP compliant drivers for your
>> graphics
>> card from the manufacturer's web site?
>>
>> --
>>

>> Will Denny
>> MS MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>
>> "Georgina" <Georgina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My screen has been flicking on and off for a while now. Changed the
>> > monitor
>> > - still happens. Now it has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds
>> > at a
>> > time, sometimes not coming back on again and also distorting the
>> > graphics
>> > on
>> > the screen. It happens whenever I try to move the mouse and do
>> > anything!
>> > Can
>> > anyone please help me?!

enkidu

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2002

Georgina wrote:

> My screen has been flicking on and off for a while
> now. Changed the monitor - still happens. Now it
> has progressed to staying off for 30 seconds at a
> time, sometimes not coming back on again and also
> distorting the graphics on the screen. It happens
> whenever I try to move the mouse and do anything! Can
> anyone please help me?!

Monitors do fail. Video cards do fail. Seems to me that the
symptoms you describe may be caused by the hardware. I'd say
that the monitor itself is suspect, so if you could beg
borrow or steal another monitor to try it would prove that
either the monitor is flakey or that it is OK.

Cheers,

Cliff