Major SIM Card Security Flaw Uncovered

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, after a few years, this information is made public. I understand the process of responsibly revealing this info to the respective authorities that can actually take steps to correct this flaw; however, after so many years when the companies involved should have taken the appropriate steps to fix it, I think it is responsible to actually reveal and expose the carriers that have not done enough in all that time, in order to protect the consumer from lazy carriers that put/keep them at risk. He should disclose the identity of the carriers that are STILL using the flawed protocol.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
Can't be Verizon they don't use SIM cards. Isn't it already well known that for the sake of compatibility GSM is insecure?
Actually, phones with LTE have SIM cards. (even the ones that are also CDMA, Verizon included)

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

someone bitching....old news....stick to shutting up

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
DES does use 56 digits, but they are all only 0s and 1s. It uses a 56-bit key. The way it's worded in the article one might think it's 56 decimal digits...

DES is considered obsolete for cryptography purposes since it's easy to crack via brute force with today's hardware.

ddpruitt

Honorable
Jun 4, 2012
What's up with everyone using ye ancient encryption systems?

DES and some of it's brethren like the MD5 hash that everyone uses where made obsolete long ago. Several better encryption systems existed long before SIM cards came into use.

Technology companies need to remember they're not just building for the hackers of today but the hackers of tomorrow, so you mind not using something that was designed and tested BEFORE I was born?

Status
Not open for further replies.