Major stuttering with all games. RTX 2080

mukalamail

Commendable
Sep 21, 2018
Hi,

I am having major stutter with my new GPU. With all games.

Monitor: G-Sync, 1440p, 144hz
CPU: i5-6600k at 4,38GHz
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: 750W (quality)
RAM: 16GB (8GB(4x4GB) HyperX Fury DDR4 2133 MHz, CL14)
MB: ASUS Z170-K (LGA1151 ATX DDR4)
128G and 1T SSD

Monitoring of one PUBG match with MSI Afterburner: https://i.imgur.com/JoN8cdR.png
- Stutter happens when the frame time spikes
- "normal" frame time around between 10-25
- spikes around 100

What I have done:
Driver reinstalls
Removed Geforce Experience
Windows Reinstall
Made sure G-sync is working
The graphics settings don't matter. Happens when I make it CPU bottleneck or GPU bottleneck.

Solution
Yeah I was pretty sure it had zero to do with a CPU bottleneck or Spectre. However even audio drivers wouldn't be a problem unless you are running your audio through HDMI and absolutely need the Nvidia drivers for it.

Also, as stated, it matters whether you're installing onboard audio drivers or Nvidia's HMDI drivers. The Realtek drivers are only needed if going through the MB's audio outputs, vs the GPU's HDMI output. Also, the drivers for the latest Realtek ALC1150 and ALC1220 can only be obtained from your MB manufacturer's firmware download page, as Realtek doesn't even list them.

Too bad there's no Ray Trace patching on any games to test on your RTX yet. BF1 looks pretty good on RTX, but the reviewers must have been playing on a...
I imagine it may be a while before drivers and game patches for RTX GPUs are completely worked out. Just the fact that Ray Tracing has to be patched in at a later unknown date, vs being available at launch on some games as implied during it's reveal, indicates as some review sites have alluded to, that Nvidia wasn't really ready for RTX launch. They were clearly hyping it up to get preorders so more developers would take interest in making ray traced games.

mukalamail

Commendable
Sep 21, 2018

I don't think this is the drives. I have looked at multiple benchmarks that had no issues.

mukalamail

Commendable
Sep 21, 2018

I have tried with V-sync 60fps with two different monitors (1080p and 1440p). Also with no V-sync but low frame rate caps. Did not help.

mukalamail

Commendable
Sep 21, 2018
I managed to fix this. Everything is now running perfectly! Thank you for your help!

TLDR: I had to install NVIDIA audio drivers (highlighted here: https://i.imgur.com/dMpLMie.png)

I tried everything said in this thread and in a couple of other ones +lots of other things. No luck...

I and my friend tried to find the problem by switching components from his PC. We tested everything except his Mobo and CPU (because he has AMD) on my PC. Nothing helped with the stuttering. Stuttering continued even with his GTX1080ti installed to my PC because as we now know we did not install the critical NVIDIA audio drivers. I also had tested GTX1070 and GTX960. These two cards do not stutter even though the NVIDIA audio driver is not installed.

I also further analyzed the stuttering before we found out the cause. I found that for example in Battlefield 1 I got zero stutters in singleplayer but absolutely atrociously appalling stutters in multiplayer. Same trend with other games like DOOM, Last Light and Battlefield 4. Singleplayer stuttering from none to some, but multiplayer stuttering from noticeable to atrocious. PUBG and Battlefield 1 were to worst.

I got the idea of the audio drivers when I googled the Battlefield 1 problem. This one comment somewhere mentioned audio drivers and then I put 1+1 together. Installing the audio driver fixed seemingly everything.

yeah, but that means you did not CORRECTLY have the right drivers installed in the first place for your hardware. For instance, you can't have Realtek audio drivers for the nvidia hardware.

in future, you should use HWiNFO64 and do complete analysis of hardware that is present and get a list of drivers for that known hardware.

Yeah I was pretty sure it had zero to do with a CPU bottleneck or Spectre. However even audio drivers wouldn't be a problem unless you are running your audio through HDMI and absolutely need the Nvidia drivers for it.

Also, as stated, it matters whether you're installing onboard audio drivers or Nvidia's HMDI drivers. The Realtek drivers are only needed if going through the MB's audio outputs, vs the GPU's HDMI output. Also, the drivers for the latest Realtek ALC1150 and ALC1220 can only be obtained from your MB manufacturer's firmware download page, as Realtek doesn't even list them.

Too bad there's no Ray Trace patching on any games to test on your RTX yet. BF1 looks pretty good on RTX, but the reviewers must have been playing on a beta patch that hasn't been finalized yet. I'm thinking that might be the first game to get a final patch though.

Let us know when you can sample some ray traced games, and take some screenshots, or better yet make a video. If you run ShadowPlay btw, make sure GeForce Experience is updated. I was getting audio dropouts while making some Instant Replay captures of GRW, and updating GE fixed it.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS