[SOLVED] Major stuttering with an RTX 3060 ?

pcgamerg59

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Basically im getting terrible stutter with my RTX 3060 specifically in Forza Horizon 5. Play it at 1080P ultra settings. Before I had an RX 6600 which ran the game flawlessly. I then found a way better deal on a 3060 which is supposed to be better. It does run most games better especially older DirectX titles. But Horizon 5 runs terrible. It gets similar fps to the 6600 (75-110 fps and one area that drops to 58 fps) but accompanied with really bad stuttering it makes the game unplayable at times. Especially noticable in the big city. Tried changing settings in nvidia control panel and several fresh driver reinstalls and nothing got rid of nor helped reduce stutter. Heres 2 videos to see the difference 3060 (1) 6600 (2)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/38HtEfPkePgRoqSa9

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4rNTsg5MTk1BvtcD9

Solution
Hey there,

Can you list your full PC specs please. This will help with diagnosis.

In the meantime, you might set up MSI OSD to show 1% lows, and 0.1% lows (also known as 99th percentile). This will show us where the stuttering is coming from I suspect. Whilst max fps/avg fps show one metric, they don't necessarily show the smoothness of gameplay. Whereas 1%/0.1% will show the worst case scenario in terms of of fps and game smoothness.

Here's a good vid on what it is, and how to fix it: What Are 1% & 0.1% Lows? - YouTube
Hey there,

In the meantime, you might set up MSI OSD to show 1% lows, and 0.1% lows (also known as 99th percentile). This will show us where the stuttering is coming from I suspect. Whilst max fps/avg fps show one metric, they don't necessarily show the smoothness of gameplay. Whereas 1%/0.1% will show the worst case scenario in terms of of fps and game smoothness.

Here's a good vid on what it is, and how to fix it: What Are 1% & 0.1% Lows? - YouTube

Reactions: spentshells
Solution

pcgamerg59

Reputable
Jun 1, 2017
Hey there,

Hey there,

RTX 3060
i7 6700
16gb (8x2) DDR4 3200mhz
Asus Z170
(3060 has also been briefly tested on a friends test bench with an i7 10700K to confirm the stutter is still there even without a bottleneck)
For some reason I cant get the 1% and .1% to display in osd :/ I know that my i7 6700 is bottlenecking which is the cause of the frame drops. It doesnt explain the stutter with just the RTX. I dont have the RX 6600 anymore so I cant do more testing with it but I know it never stuttered and both GPUs ran the game smoothly 80-90 fps everywhere. Areas with a lot of buildings that strain the CPU the lowest it will ever drop is 53 fps. But only the RTX stutters. My only guess would be bad driver or bad game optimization?

For some reason I cant get the 1% and .1%

You set up a key (let's say End key, or any for that matter) to begin recording the 1%/0/1% lows after your game starts. You set a 'begin recording' and 'End recording key'. Do this in the benchmark tab. You must begin and end recording each time you play a game. Kind of cumbersome, I know. But at least you can see the metric.

So, once in a game, hit your start key and then your new 1% low FPS output is displayed along with the other things you've set to show.

TRENDING THREADS