Major upgrade, Possible RAM issue.

matt6457

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
I recently decided to upgrade my computer, I removed an ASUS Sabretooth Z77 motherboard, 16GB of Corsair Vengeance RAM (2x8GB) and an i7 3770K Processor and replaced them with an ASUS PRIME Z270a Motherboard, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB RAM (2x8GB) (F4-3000C15D -16GTZR) and an i7 7700k Processor. I am using the same 1000w PSU, Case and HDD's.
When I try to boot the system everything powers on, the RAM's RGB's, The lights on the motherboard, The fans in the case and on the GPU but i don't get any video output I've tried this with the GPU's DVI connector and have removed the card and tried on the motherboards connector. I have found that when I boot a red CPU warning light flashes momentarily on the motherboard then goes off (I assume this is normal?) and the DRAM warning light comes on and stays on. I press the MemOK! button and the light flashes signifying that the motherboard is trying to make the RAM work but this doesn't work. Before purchasing the components I looked on the G.Skill website and it says the RAM is compatable. I have tried each RAM stick individually and in different slots but no luck. I would have thought that maybe the motherboard was faulty but everything seems to power on fine and the sticks light up as they should.
Any advice would be appreciated, as I said I have checked compatability as best as I could and I have also checked the CPU connector pins.

I've uploaded this to youtube to show the issue.

https://youtu.be/P-8moHMP4kM

On the right of the motherboard you can see the red cpu light flash on and off, reading around this seems normal but then the amber light that stays on is the DRAM warning light

matt6457

Prominent
Aug 11, 2017
After trying the new RAM the board still wouldn't boot. I returned it and brought a different board (AsROG Strix Z270E). That board works without any issues with both lots of my RAM. The site I returned the faulty board to confirmed that the board was faulty (Not sure in what way) and I have now been issued a refund.