Amdkillsintel

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I have windows xp pro and whenever i try to open something and it doesn't open, i go to task manager to see if it is running, and most of the time it is, so i click end process and it wont end it, the unopened program just sits there eating up ram, forcing me to restart the computer every time it happens. I did registry check, virus and adware scanning and cant find the problem. Help please!!!!

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
You have some other problems then, But,
In task manager, after you have told it to end process under applications, go to Processes tab and you should see a Dump..., under image name, highlight it and end proccess! That shortly should kill the proccess!

SoDNighthawk

Splendid
Nov 6, 2003
Sobig virus does it also sometimes lock-up or even shut off at the XP log in screen after you enter your password and hit enter ?

Sobig virus or one of the variants. system freeze and lockups.

Get Stinger from the McAfee website and run it. It might not fix it all but it could alert you to the type of variant and you will know its name. Also try free online scanner from Panda Software.

Resolution:

fdisk re-install is the only fix because XP Recovery is not going to remove a virus already present. Back-up your crucial data and scan those Flash or CD storage devices in a system with a full anti-virus already present and updated before you use them again.