Majority of options gone from Catalyst Control Centre since upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
Basically I upgraded to Windows 8 (don't give me the "well you should have stuck to windows 7") and I opened CCC to scale my monitor to get rid of the black border but most of the options were gone. I assumed I need to upgrade to the Windows 8 CCC. So I uninstalled my (then) current CCC and restarted PC and installed the newest one for Windows 8 64 bit but still got the same issue. I have tried many different versions of CCC but to no avail. I saw someone mention he fixed this by " uninstalling catalyst control center and removing incorrect GAC token from the Windows folder". No idea what that entails.

TL;DR why does my Catalyst Control Center lack options and looks like this after upgrading to Windows 8 and installing the Windows 8 drivers?
3xzYE.png

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Yeah I want to be able to change the over-scan so I can get rid of these stupid 1 cm black borders :/ I have tried so many different versions of CCC for Windows 8 with the exact same result :/

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Tried both of them. Same result... Making me regret upgrading to Windows 8 but I'm stuck with it now seeing as I don't want to wipe my HDD.

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012
I'd try uninstalling whichever version you've got loaded on now with Revo Uninstaller, doing a quick registry scan with Ccleaner (backing up the registry is optional, but not required, make sure you fix all the errors and re-scan until no more errors appear), rebooting and re-installing Catalyst 12.10. I've always done clean installs and never upgrades, though, had too many past experiences with upgrades and customers/clients figuring out a way to make their machine stuff it up.

I'd add in links for you but somehow my full editor's options are blanked out, so just get the programs from filehippo.com.

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Allright I'll give all that a go. I had to upgrade though haha. 2TB of stuff that I didn't want to lose :')

Cataclysm_ZA

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

You should think about partitioning the drive in future. Have a 250GB partition for Windows and the rest goes to your media. I have one 500GB drive as boot and a 1.5TB for my movies and stuff. Later on I'll have a 128GB SSD, the 500GB will be reused for media and the 1.5TB will be added into a networked Windows Home server. Makes life so much easier.

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Not possible being as I don't have 250GB to spare. Also windows doesn't need 250GB. Partitioning is hassle cause it's a pain in the ass to get partitions to merge back if you have an OS on on of them. Which I always will. Also what you suggested didn't work. Still exactly the same issue. I have no idea what the hell is up with this. These black borders are doing my head in and I can't sort it out cause CCC has ah heck all options.

NlTESHADE

Honorable
Oct 30, 2012
I have had the same problem since the preview came out and only solved it now, the issue is that AMD have only upgraded the latest GPU to windows 8 as they new models will be released with windows 8 in stores,

i have the mobility radeon HD 5145 but shows up on standard driver as 4500 series, probable reason being it uses the same driver.

i had installed the new catalyst control centre and all i had was 4 options, this meant i had no ability to overdrive, or change aspect ratio on certain games, for me this was hitman 1-3,

1. remove current CCC and all ati software in remove programs, select the remove all AMD software option when removing.

2. Remove all reg traces by using CCLEANER (best piece of free software in exsistance and everyone should have this installed forever).

3. go to device manager by pressing the windows key and break buttons, go to display adapters and uninstalling the current item there.(dont worry screen will go black and come back, all GPU works as standard video cards). Now click the option up top that says scan for hardware changes. this will reinstall your GPU, dont update the driver yet, Very important,

4. download and install the windows 7 CCC version 12.6 (when you are downloading it will be called legacy something). INSTALL this. if you have a different GPU you may need to install a different CCC but most likely not as this one covers alot of them.

Link Below.

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx

5. now you should have all options, available to you, now go ahead and update the GPU driver if need be.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF THIS WORKS

email is michaelkidd@dublin.ie

powerisblack

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Not working for me.

truprecht

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

I had the same problem as the OP, downloaded 12.10 from the AMD site, installed it, and it restored the full range of options in CCC, and the overscaling setting eliminated the black border. (Win 8 Pro 64-Bit, HD6850 GPU, Panasonic 42" HDTV as monitor)

saamos

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Kudos to area51reopened for being obvious :)

Obviously everyone that has this problem knows it is not that easy. I have tried the above outlines solutions to no success. I have the exact same issue as the one outlined by the OP to the last detail. HDMI-HDMI. I have attempted the windows 7/vista CCC and the windows 8 CCC to no success. It seems the drivers dont correctly communicate to the CCC and report the monitor. Has anyone been able to install a driver that works? Even tried the beta.. uninstalling CCC/rebooting each time.

Thanks! this 1 inch border is really upsetting - love windows 8 otherwise the.. other than i wish that hitting the windows key didnt pull up the graphical UI....

saamos

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I also have the HD6850 like truprecht. However the 12.10 or beta doesn't work for me like it did him. I've been searching the internet on this issue for awhile to no avail.

In response to Area51reopened's post.

I once downloaded an AMD driver that when installed showed the same version as before I went through the full reinstall again and again(driver sweeper and all), then just downloaded it again.

Guess what, The MD5's did not even match. It was like AMD had put up the wrong driver for a short time it was an exact match to the older driver.

So I could see that happen :)

Unfortunately, my card is much older then yours(5870). The screens almost look like basic mode, but lack the green bar with locations so it must not be that.

Hey, Why 12.10 beta. Is 12.10 not the current version(No beta)?

saamos

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Sorry, mighta worded it a bit wrong. I meant I tried both the 12.10 driver and the beta (12.11) and neither of them gave me the full selection of utilities in my CCC.

I wish the OP would continue posting, but I would like this resolved as quickly as possible so I don't go insane :) maybe some of the things we mention will help the OP as well..

What confuses me the most is that the GPU drivers i use work for the second monitor I have installed.. a rather small HP monitor I use for chats and ventrillo.. Using the card as just a video card of course disables the second monitor.. so the drivers are working - just not communicating with CCC. Is there another way to access the settings i need? Maybe a 3rd party software? Just rolling here.. not sure if its possible.

saamos

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
Yeah that's working fine - theres also a pretty nifty gui if you use the charm bar and go to devices. I was just saying that the drivers are working without issue except for the communication with CCC. Its just I have no selection to change display settings within CCC, just like the OPs screenshot.

truprecht

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2010

FWIW, I didn't uninstall the previous drivers or CCC. I downloaded the full suite from AMD here (first option):

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_win8-64.aspx

I ran the file directly from my downloads folder, used "express settings".

Just throwing stuff at the wall here, but maybe Windows doesn't recognize the specific monitor, therefore CCC doesn't enable any monitor-controlling features? Does your monitor have any kind of driver install? For example, in the Devices & Printers control panel, does the monitor show up as a specific brand/model or just a generic monitor? If you cant push CCC to the monitor, maybe you can push the monitor to CCC?

saamos

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
I tried to find the specific driver on asus' website and couldnt find anything. It is a generic PnP in devices though. I have the vh242h monitor (model) wich is 23.6"

EDIT: just fyi, I also used the express settings and downloaded the entire package. Multiple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.