Majority of real Phenom Users are Very Happy

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

yep, exact same style

posts a controversial comment and uses an unreliable / questionable source to "prove" his statements

then leaves, watches the havoc

will probably come back later after things have cooled down to stir things back up again, will probably to reply to only one or two of the posts and use flawed logic, set up a strawman argument or similar tactics to defend his stance. He'll probably fall back on "Intel can't do native quad core" or "Intel is an evil corporate giant".

then he abandons the thread and sets up a new one in a matter of days.

Edit: speak of the devil

cuz unlocked multipliers are totally relevant to the current conversation. Phenom BE will have unlocked multipliers, these unlocked multipliers are the sole reason why the BE can beat Intels EE processors which also have unlocked multipliers.... wait....

ragemonkey

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
I wrote my own review of the 9600 on newegg after getting one for a 1p server at work, it reads...

rated 5/5

/quote
ragemonkey
Tech Level: high
Ownership: 1 week to 1 month 12/28/2007 7:13:42 PM Much Maligned but works great

Pros: Drop in replacement for a 1p server with an Opteron 1216. Big difference noticed over the opty in overall repsonse in Server 2K3. Runs great, dropped right in the M2N32-SLI board with the BIOS update. This chip really woke up my server. I highly recommend it if you have a AM2 mobo that can support Phenom with a BIOS update. The opty would bog down on occasion under heavy load but this chip just rocks.

Cons: The stock HSF is dog poop. I guess AMD had to cut somewhere. They need to bundle the stock HSF for the 6000 or Optys with this chip -- the 4-heat-piped one. I used the HSF off my opty 1216 and the temps are great now. So be advised... with the stock HSF this chip will run HOT even in a well ventillated case

Other Thoughts: TLB... yeah yeah yeah. This chip has been 100% stable running 24/7 since it was installed. Much Maligned Phenom is but this chip works great. Besides, the TLB bug has hardly been reproduced outside of lab environments and only occurs in certain Virtualization-type situations. However, if you own a 6000 or a 6400BE I would say wait until the clocks go higher or they release the 9600BE, as you won't notice a difference... and unless you do encoding or run it on a server, you probably won't anyway.

/quote

DELETED, give it a rest.

Your posts are not adding any value to this forum.

oldscotch

Distinguished
May 28, 2007

You're one of the ones who watch Fox News aren't you?

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
Maybe someone at NewEgg is listening... I think NewEgg (after you place an order) should send the buyer a special link that allows that person to post a review for every product they purchased on that order AND NOTHING ELSE! Perhaps even delay this email by a week so the buyer will have received the order. After reading some of the negative posts on some of their products, I can't help but think it's by people that don't even own it. Surely it wouldn't be THAT hard to do... and it would give a little bit of credibility to the reviews. Happy with your purchase? Your vote counts... unhappy with a product you didn't buy? STFU... I don't want to hear it.

4745454b

Titan
This will likely be my only post to this thread, if you guys insist on the personal attacks.

First, never post user reviews as proof of something. These are the same dumb users that plug in a molex and SATA power plug to one harddrive. The same dumb users that complain of overheating CPUs with improperly attached HSF. The same dumb users that allow their computers to join botnets. etc. As Turpit pointed out, some/many of these guys don't have them. Citing user reviews is like citing wiki, it shouldn't be done.

Second, while he might not have cited a good source, there are some out there that show what he's claiming. Take a look at this.

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/618/1/

Over the past couple weeks AMD has made some strides when it comes to the TLB erratum, which to be honest should not be as big of a deal as many make it out to be. Legit Reviews has a number of staff members with Phenom systems and not one has encountered erratum number 298. After over a month of performance testing and use not one blue screen of death or crash has been seen that wasn't related to overclocking.

If you are concerned about and want to patch your computer so this doesn't effect you, they then go on in the next page to use the new overdrive utility to benchmark with the patch on or off. Gaming takes one of the biggest hits with an ~11% drop in performance. If what they said about the problem is true however, you can leave the patch off without much to worry about.

So why would anyone want one of these? How about a quad core CPU for <$200?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103226

Raviolissimo

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006

so are most female pigs. a woman friend told me
female pigs can have 30 minute orgasms. i didn't
look it up; i'll take her word for it.

this time around, Intel doesn't need to pay for negative reviews.
the Phenom is an OK chip, would probably be a step up from my
Opteron 175.

but, it's competing poorly with an 80 watt Quad Core Q9450.
(thinking it consumes about as much power as the Harpertown)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117149

OH WOW, they're actually in stock now ! ! !

to sell Phenom's, AMD will have to lower the price & count on
potential customers to not think about their electricity bills too
much.

until the next design iteration.

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Typical happy Phenom user:

6pq3n11.jpg

cb62fcni

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2006

Maybe he is and maybe he isn't, but judging by your contribution and well-thought out screenname I'd say it takes one to know one, eh old chap? If you don't have something meaningful to post, refrain from doing so.

Of course, I suppose a thread as ridiculously concieved as this one was simply destined to become nothing more than a party. Can we get a delete here?

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Any thread that has been started by the OP is "simply destined to become nothing more than a party". So let's party! Free beer to all hapy Phenom users! Hmm... looks like I'll have plenty of beer left over to take home! :)

meadowlands

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2006
I'm not for intel or AMD, however I am for good prices and a quad core chip for $185 is a pretty damn good price. The Q6600 is $100 more even though it is better. It depends on your budget. If I were to build a quad core system on a budget, I'd go with AMD. If money were no object, I'd grab the intel or wait for the new 45 nm quads.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
These trolls are paid by AMD or by any other sponsor by the view or by the reply.

Don't feed the troll - you'll only make it worse for yourselves.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
I all about the bang for buck, right now, a phenom as a drop in replacemnt is good if i can overclock it to at leat 2.5 ghz, but the intel 8200@2.66ghz and 8400 @3ghz sound really good for 163 and 183 dollars so amd had better drop prices soon.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Tsk Tsk Tsk, what fun is it to go to the petting zoo and not feed the trolls? :kaola:

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
9 Inch aka Thunderman, in which it shoud be Thunderflop is a hit and run artist nd a AMD schill. It's a good thing Jumpin Jack isn't here to see it right now.

R Collins

I'm just running a Q6600 at stock on a Asus P5N32-E SLI with 4 gig of ddr2 800 with 4 80 gig raptors and a 8800gt, Xfi Platinum, all under the control of Windows Vista Ultimate 32 bit.

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

Look for the reviews that have blue text stating whether they bought it or not.
It will say it above each review.