Majority of real Phenom Users are Very Happy

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

Well, I'm finally ticked off at AMD, though I don't doubt they'll fix the bug that I'd probably not encounter anyways, I did expect higher clocked B3 stepping out soon. Instead, it looks like they'll give us 1.8 gigahertz 65 watt Phenoms.

To repeat what I said in another thread, I want a 45nm Phenom running at least at 2.4 gigahertz with thermals somewhat equivalent to the Wolfdale thermals I saw in the dual core review at Xbit Labs. So, I might get my wife a 65nm Phenom 9500 for her 690G ASUS board, because she can use quad core now, but for my gaming, I will stick with my X2 until AMD gets their act together.

How I wish they'd just stuck two Brisbane's together, but they painted themselves into a corner with all that "native quad core beats Intel's method" talk. Seems Intel knew what they were about in refusing to go native quad core until 45nm. As far as it goes, we don't really know why they're delaying either, rumors aside, maybe native quad core at 45nm has problems too that neither AMD or Intel want to face?

The one thing that makes me happy about the Phenom is the price at the low end plus it does do 17% to 25% better per core than an Athlon X2. Plus the fact that I went for the right ASUS motherboard for both of last year's builds.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
First and foremost...

I am very upset that all the appologies within this topic do not include me......

I am also upset that I am not included in the above said mentioning of going for a booze up.

So can I have one :) ( As TC is on a roll I got me hand out for one ).

Yeah the loss of socket 939 grieved me big time as the platform still clearly had life in it.
It was almost dropped like stone with tough no more options attitude.

Socket 940 was a bit crappy to say the least in advancement.

Why the hell they didnt do anymore for us dedicated AMD fans with 939'ers.......I dont know but after this I went to tried and trusted Intel.

On a side note - why does nvidia chipsets get so hot...

Will never own a AMD again......this peeved me off bigtime...

They knew then they must of had a fight on their hands with the up and comming Core 2 Duo and were desparate to get to ddr 2............

Well AMD - I hope while you fixing the crashing bug in the Phenom get ddr 3 compatibility working as well, as Intel will do the same with that technology too.

But alas to be honest I couldnt give a stuff unless you do something amazing again ( which i doubt ).
Forget 65 nm if you can, u need 45 now to keep up with Intels overclocking potential..

spoonboy

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2007

No your not invited to the cpu forum love-in lol!

Theres a free stool in hooters next to oldskoolchopper or tc mate im sure. :)

am2 seemed like a load of old giz from the start, ddr2 800 was too pricey back then as there was ah heck all other reason to do it. moving on, the situation 6 months from now will be quite interesting. AMD bankrupt? bought? back on track? any other words beginning with b?

OlSkoolChopper

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Hellboy: me, tc, and spoonboy are savin a stool for ya and Ive already told the hot bartender chick we afectionately call "Pointer" (no ice needed there) that youll be here soon and to treat ya right when you get here. :)

Back on some sort of topic... My crystal left ball (see, it starts with b) says that on July 11, 2008, AMD wil be taking a poison pill defense to keep Samsung from eating it up much to the chaggrin of the AMD shareholders.

I800C0LLECT

Distinguished
May 16, 2007

I guess you'd have to hear the whole story to realize that the price/performance ratio is in favor of Intel at about 1200USD. Gewd times pillaging and sacking fellow forum members and screaming "intel fanboy" though.

I was just pointing out that the mainstream consumer is still living in yester-year just as the P4 reigned for so very long when AMD was really the better chip. I still have people ask me "how much better is the P4 vs. the Core-something...". People actually stray from the C2D because they're unfamiliar with the naming schemes associated with the conroes, kentsfields...etc.

But...Keep on truckin...

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
The best news about all of this is that AMD has never offered better bang for the buck than they do today. I had to pay bucket loads of $$$$$ for the cpu X2 3.8 939 because it was faster than any Intel cpu of its day. Mind you it had dual core as well that made it a bit tough to let go.

Here's to AMD never getting faster than Intel again, cause I just love the X2 & phenom prices and killer platforms they sit on and Intel platforms are not out of reach either if you want that bit of extra grunt. I want it to stay this way forever. Will I get a phenom processor down the track, you better believe it.

Only thing that does surprise me a bit is why Intel is selling their cpu's so cheap? You'd think with the love they get on these forums they were selling like beer in a burning pub and they'd be out for a decent return on their investment. Mind you they tend to mark their chip sets up a bit to compensate. Anyway let the good times roll. lol :)

harna

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
I800C0LLEC T wrote:

"I was just pointing out that the mainstream consumer is still living in yester-year just as the P4 reigned for so very long when AMD was really the better chip. I still have people ask me "how much better is the P4 vs. the Core-something...". People actually stray from the C2D because they're unfamiliar with the naming schemes associated with the conroes, kentsfields...etc."

All I say about this is that Jo and Flo average don't care what CPU powers their system until it fails to run something (usually a game) at which point they start asking about an upgrade and then the words "Intel Inside" is followed by some unmentionable expletives.

I800C0LLECT

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
I agree whole heartedly harna.

American consumerism is deplorable. If, as a whole, we were a bit more educated concerning our investments or about our buying habits then AMD might have a bit more cash stacked in the back to help them with their current crysis and I'm sure Intel, still, would have brought some of their R&D feats to the table.

I just hope AMD can find a way to get their manufacturing technologies up to par so they can realize some of the potential that the Starr and Barcy could bring to the table.

I want some competition dammit. :>

I800C0LLECT

Distinguished
May 16, 2007
Confused TC?

I was pointing out that majority of consumers are behind the curve and the salesmen aren't any better.

AMD is doing a fine job at selling. Margins and manufacturing process are something different. I still vote Intel for the time being.

systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
AMD really hurt themselfs releasing a processor with a bug and not telling anybody about it. Then AMD tells us that we need a program code and O yea its only a 10-15% performance hit! :ouch: Thats just not what a company like AMD should even consider doing! Ten years from now people will still remember this, its AMD history now. Don't get me wrong I don't hate AMD I'm just a little dissapointed thats all.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006

I'm charitable enough to buy AMD. I consider it my Business Fairness Act of 2008.

Considering Fry's bundles, the price performance ratio at the budget end is Intel too. The Pentium C2D based CPU is almost as fast as our Athlon X2 3800+. It's just hampered by that one meg cache. It's still a good deal at $88 to replace a P4 630. They had a Phenom 9600 with 690G and still charged $274 for it, and then a 9600 with a 790 board and charged something like $425 or so. I guess the ECS bundled boards are the ones almost given away.

If life were fair, then Intel would have had as many lost sales with Netburst as AMD has had with Phenoms, but life is not fair and it's only business. Let's hope the New York AG, the Korean and the EU probes into Intel's OEM licensing and whatnot doesn't turn out to be another Microsoft agreement.

Brand names are why Intel's kept the Pentium name for their low end C2D's. I wonder, what will the dual core Celeron's have, 512k cache? At any rate, Phenom is the worst brand name I can think of in decades. It's to be made fun of, even if the CPU isn't as bad as people on the boards make it out to be. It's just not good enough to be anything but budget right now, and I fear it will get worst with Wolfdale.

Noticed I used "fear" instead of "few" in my last post. Freudian slip there, you'd think I owned AMD stock. :D

TRENDING THREADS